Ebay Horsebox Scams, Be Aware

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Be aware there are horsebox and likely trailer scams happening on ebay.
Make sure you ask lots of questions that you need the actual vehicle to be able to answer.
GO AND VIEW IT

Do not bid blind on what could be a non existent item.
Check when the seller was last active and be a little cautious of bidders cancelling bids, non active for a year.

Reactions: Cortrasna
Someone I know was done by an Ebay horsebox scam, The dafty paid up and never even saw the box IRL. She was diddled out of 8 grand. Fool and his money......

Reactions: Cortrasna
They might be able to recover it, out of their own pocket as the seller just transfers the money and shuts the account.
There is the pay after item received, which can protect you. Paypal pays initially.

Ah yes, if you transfer funds asap and then shut your account then I guess that would work the scam. Oh dear. There are some very dishonest folk out there.
I sold loads of stuff back end of last year via ebay - quad bike and roller, sheep trailer. Quite large sums of money but most farmers arrive with cash;)

I bet they viewed it first.
People do buy unseen all the time that's how it works, but with large expensive items I would c.o.c

I would have thought c.o.c as well, no way would I pay for an item without seeing it. I recently went to buy something on preloved and was told no PayPal only bank transfer - errr no. Item was the other end of the country so no chance of collection or inspection.

Reactions: newforest
scammers paying with paypal can equally scam when collecting an item and paying by paypal before hand. The seller has no way of proving via electronic method tracking that the item was ' delivered' I would never use paypal for high priced items. Paypal can and do refund the buyer who claims the item was never received. A hand signed receipt is as much use as a chocolate teapot.

newrider.com