Early Mornings

horsesports26

Dec 27, 2005
east mids
I am moving my horse to a new yard in the next couple of weeks and I will have to start doing morning turnout as my horse will be stabled over night. My main problem is I am the worlds worst person at getting up in a morning does any one have any tips apart from wetting the bed.

:rolleyes:

put your alarm clock at the other side of the room so you HAVE to get outta bed to even put it on snooze! plus i usually set mine for half an hour earlier than i need to so i dont have to get outta bed straight away! ;)

I am not very good in the mornings either :(

I find it helps to have nothing to do in the morning - if I think I have to find clean clothes, make breakfast etc. I end up staying longer in bed grumbling to myself.

So get stuff ready the night before (I just fall out of bed, into shower, out of shower into jodhs that are situated outside bathroom door with boots and chaps beside them... etc.

1. Figure out how much sleep you need (some people need 10 hours, some need 7- everyone is different)

2. Go to bed at the same time every night, and get up at the same time every morning. Routine is vital when you are trying to re-train your sleep patterns.

3. Don't do anything stimulating before bed (watch scary movies, exercise, read exciting books, ect.) and don't drink alcohol or caffine-loaded drinks within 3 hours of going to bed.

4. Have 2 alarm clocks- and I agree with putting them across the room.

5. Turn on bright lights as soon as you wake up in the morning, and have a morning routine that gets you moving right away.

6. Eat or drink something small as soon as possible to wake up your gut. Get in the habit of eating a good breakfast, and a light dinner.

7. Decide that this is what you really need to do, don't give yourself any excuses.

good luck! It isn't easy to train yourself to be a morning person, but is possible with the right attitude!

go to bed earlier :p if you want to that is!!
i hate waking up early!! i have to be at the bustop for school about..half 7ish and mum used to shout at me saying "Ella Get Your Fat Ass Out Of Bed And See Your PONY!!!!!!" im like arrrrrrrrr ok! lol..i seriously hated her then! lol..but since ladez has gone its like a dream come true (no ear aches) lol..but i must admit im late for school now! :(

I have started to think about my winter routine already and will soon need to get into the habit of getting up earlier.
I just go to bed really early and set my alarm early to. Once you get into a routine it's fine, although I didn't realise how tired I was untill 24/7 turnout came and I relaxed, the long hours soon caught up with me then!!

In the summer my dad usually comes in and opens the curtains, which wakes me up!
I use the alarm on my phone and I put it the other side of the room too.
In the winter you need a brother and sister like I have who turns out my horse for me when I'm still in bed!:D I suppose it's easier for me though because my ponies are at home.

Really annoys me when my dad opens curtains so he doesn't do it anymore as I started a row:p :eek: (not a good start to the morning lol)
My alarm clock is set half an hour late so I wake up 7:00 (real time 6:30) snooze for 15mins) wake up again(my alarm does 5mins snooze until alarm goes off again) at 7:15(real time 6:45) and jump out of bed thinking i'm late and get going fast. Worked so far 4 days into term not missed the bus yet so hope it still work by the end:p

Putting the alarm clock on the other side of the room sounds like a good idea. Going to bed early is not always as easy, really must stop watching telly in bed. I think once I get into it I am going to enjoy it.

I am one of these people that gets up at the last possible minute and just get to work on time. O how things are going to change. You never know I might really surprise myself and ride my boy before work.

:D

I usually set my alarm about half to three quarters of an hour before I actually need to get up. That way I wake up more gradually. It usually works ;)

Though I pay someone to turn my girl out, the way I see it is that I'd have to spend a £1 in petrol to get down there, and wouldn't even feel like riding that early so would have to make two trips instead of one. So a £1 is money well spent. Oh and I'm like a bear with a sorehead before 11am anyway :eek: :D

gosh poor you! I also hate it when he pulls the duvet away when its winter as our house doesn't have double glazing and god is it freezing (that ended in row too:p I really should stop arguing:D )

Ah! Right, before getting the horses I used to start work at 9.30am and used to drag myself (quite literally at times!) out of bed around 9amish - really slack I know, but I had it fine tuned so that every second counted and I could spend more seconds under the duvet!!! All that changed when we got Joe - probably because I am a complete horse nut now, and I'd waited all my life to actually OWN one, I literally bounce out of bed now - I can't wait to see our two first thing - I am transformed from a bed potato person to a real enthusiastic morning type - how weird I know...............!!!! I still have 5 more minutes though.....hehe!!

I have my 1st day back at school tomorrow so really must get up in time!
as you always have to look good 1st day back LOL so i will be setting my alarm for 6am as i am bound to have a bad hair day or something!

Herbie's mummy said:
as you always have to look good 1st day back LOL

Crumbs, things have certainly moved on since I was at school!:p We weren't even allowed to wear make up and had to have our hair tied back (the PE teacher used to shove an elastic band around it if it was hanging down:eek: ) so looking good wasn't really on my list of priorities! Having said that, I was always pleased if my skin stayed clear and my new shoes looked nice.....:D Ah, school days...........:p

I am terrible, I just about manage the mornings so long as I set my alarm an hour earlier than I need to be up and don't have to talk to anyone before I get a cuppa when I get to work.

I also have a set routein for the mornings to get all the jobs done so evenings is just riding and nice stuff, that also includes doing more jobs at the weekend to mean I get an extra 2 mins in bed each day :eek:

Tomorrow is the 1st day back for me.... Hehe I'm gonna put my alarm clock half way across the room... It always works esp for horseshows.

newrider.com