earache - any homemade treatments?

eventerbabe

Dec 16, 2004
I woke up this morning with the most awful earache and what i was later told was tinnitus. I don't listen to ipods (i don't have one!) and i don't have a job that exposes me to loud noises. However yesterday i did a 4 hour round trip in my car with a "friend" who shouted for the full duration of the journey. And it is my ear that was closest to her that is affected. It was so painful i phoned NHS 24 who diagnosed over the phone and told me to warm some olive oil and pour a wee bit of that in. I did and spent the remainder of the morning in bed with my ear plugged with cotton wool :rolleyes: that seems to have worked as I have got rid of most of the ringing sensation and can hear properly in the affected ear. Although it is still quite sore. Anyone got any easy home remedies for earache? it's knocked my balance off kilter aswell. Tried to do some schooling with toby this afternoon and nearly fell off him as my balance and spatial awareness was all to pot.

I'm a bit annoyed with my "friend" aswell. I told her repeatedly that she didn't need to shout as i was sat right next to her. i think next time for the sake of my health i need to wear ear plugs! :(

If it does not clear quickly and your balance is a bit off, go to the doc, you may have an infection and nothing to do with loud friend.

I got labyrinthitis once, I would not wish it on my worst enemy. Balance went and I felt soooooo sick the whole time

the nurse practitioner said if it cleared up with the oil then it probably wasn't an infection. But if i'm still wobbly on monday i'll be off to the doctors next week. It is a million times better than it was this morning but it's still a bit sore. i'll try the hot water bottle :)

Yeah I use a hot water bottle... unlikely in this case as one ear, but it can be blood pressure related too eg stress :) normally in both ears though

I cannot vouch for this one personally, but a friend who holidays in the Med and whose kids always get ear infections from swimming in it, takes garlic oil capsules with her and at the first sign of ear ache she pierces the capsule and squirts the oil in the ear. Repeat three times a day.

The theory is that garlic is a natural anitbiotic and the oil stops more water getting in.

Like I said I've never tried it myself, and I can't help thinking that it would be really pongy.

Hve you got hay fever? because congestion in the tubes can cause earache and tinnitis as well.

If it does not clear quickly and your balance is a bit off, go to the doc, you may have an infection and nothing to do with loud friend.

I got labyrinthitis once, I would not wish it on my worst enemy. Balance went and I felt soooooo sick the whole time

Oh my Sister suffers with that, it sounds absolutely horrible !!

I use a few drops from a small brown bottle of aloe gold when I get earache. Its kept me from the painful throbbing I can get at times. Best to see your doctor though just in case.

Hope you are ok now, I wasn't aware tinitus caused earache? Echo the advise of the hot water bottle it should help. Do go back and pester your gp if it doesn't clear up, as Wally says, could be labyrinthitis and you don't want to be hanging around not getting treatment. Healing vibes.

newrider.com