Dry hands

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
There was a review in Your Horse recently on hand creams - lets face it I think we all get cold chapped hands at some point just through doing yard chores and being outside riding. I haven't tried any of the ones reviewed but wondered what you guys use? Atm I have L'Occitaine rose and shea - it's quite rich and Crabtree and Evelyn's Lily. Both are good yet my poor hands still look dry and like they belong to somebody in their 90's! Lol

Yes my hands would incorrectly age me too - reckoned about 75 when I looked at them earlier!! I'm not really a lotions and creams person either but working outdoors and being around the horses in this weather is really drying on the skin and I don't want my hands to go the way of a couple of guys I work with that after years of handling soils and working outside suffer cracked skin most of the winter.. One of them recommends the Eucerin or Norwegian creams?

I am currently using the Body shops hemp hand protector which seems nice but a bit thick. I have some of their ginger hand cream on my desk at work, that's useless! I also have some sanctuary stuff I like. I used to use, I think it was Nivea and that worked well, I don't find I need to be as fussy with my hands as my face so I just bung on whatever I have been given as a present or free samples! :redface:

Second the body shop hemp but also if my hands are really bad I wear latex globes at the yard and smother my hands in sudocrem and my hands feel lovely at the end of the day.

Best thing I've ever found is lemony flutter cuticle butter from lush. Brilliant stuff,i use it at night and although its quite greasy goes in well and makes skin lovely and soft. Use it on my feet too.

Best thing I've ever found is lemony flutter cuticle butter from lush. Brilliant stuff,i use it at night and although its quite greasy goes in well and makes skin lovely and soft. Use it on my feet too.

This.

I LOVE Lush stuff :wub:

Okay this may sound gross but I put Vaseline on my feet after a shower before I put my socks on, I then rub a small pea sized amount into my hands, soaks in after a couple of mins.

I have suffered with cracked, dry hands and weird allergic reactions to alot of creams, but since using Vaseline daily my hands are soft all winter, barely use any other hand cream at all now

Okay this may sound gross but I put Vaseline on my feet after a shower before I put my socks on, I then rub a small pea sized amount into my hands, soaks in after a couple of mins.

I have suffered with cracked, dry hands and weird allergic reactions to alot of creams, but since using Vaseline daily my hands are soft all winter, barely use any other hand cream at all now

I take it you mean actual petroleum jelly not the lotion stuff?

Mother in law often buys me an Avon handcream, forget what it's called but does feel lovely. Might try the old vaseline trick though!

Clarins creme jeunesse de mains which came top in some poll years ago. But I suspect that is one of our indulgences.

I take it you mean actual petroleum jelly not the lotion stuff?

Mother in law often buys me an Avon handcream, forget what it's called but does feel lovely. Might try the old vaseline trick though!

Yup, it is amazingly good. I always suffer from cracked heels and my hands bleed but this year no problems at all, only apply once a day too and so cheap!

I use Vaseline in the little tins on my lips, it is much better than the balm you can buy in a stick container. Bit messy to put on with your fingers, but it works really well.

I use Aveeno cream, really good and not greasy. My main problem is remembering to put it on though! I need to do it about 5-6 times a day to really keep dryness at bay

My hands don't usually get dry but the other week the dish washer packed up so now I am washing up everyday, plus the horse stuff they are beginning to get chapped:frown:. I am using Vaseline healthy hands and nails. It seems to be doing the job.

newrider.com