Driving question

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I'm at the point with wee Hank that I want to start him pulling a tyre, my thought is to initially just have it looped on so I can release it in a hurry if I need to, though I don't expect to have any issue at all, does that sound sensible?
But my main question is how to attach it, should a make a kind of swingle tree to ensure the traces stay spaced or am I over thinking it?

Yes, make a swingletree so he does not get his back legs rubbed by the traces,

TO begin with get a friend to simply loop the rope through a loop you attach to the tyre, so if he takes fright all your friend has to do is drop the rope and the tyre stops dead. Once you are certain he's happy just use an ordinary quick release knot with a long tail you can hold so if it all goes pear shaped one hard yank on the rope releases the tyre.

I found one of the easiest ways to attach the tyre is with one of these ropes http://media.robinsonsequestrian.co...b33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/5/7/57044-01_15.jpg THe Walsall clip just clips over the rim of the tyre. Nothing to wear out on the road, make a loop in the rope and run another one with a quick release knot through that

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Yup that's what I was thinking, just wanted to check I was on the right track :D I like that rope idea, and I just happen to have several :D

Yes definitely need a swingle tree. I was recommend to use bale string as it is easy to cut. Always carry a penknife with you. Only thing with bale string is that it can also break when you dont want which can equally spook the horse. Heres one with a hook which you could then just hook a rope/string over from the tyre.IMG_20140608_150251.jpg

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com