Driving one handed with whip Help please

Dinsarsio

Aug 16, 2006
Wrexham North Wales
www.freewebs.com
:confused: :eek:

I started a BDS driving course two weeks ago and i am finding Driving one handed and with the whip very difficult.
I have been driving 15 years and although i understand the action of the hand and the whip, the right rein is hurting me ontop of my ring finger.
I have taken my rings off but my fingers still get very sore.
I want to do this right.Yesterday i practised long reining my pony but i was very sore.I did try with gloves.I only have small hands and the reins that i have are an inch wide.
I have ordered a tedman harness so hopefully the reins will be easier.
I do want to get this right.
Any tips please?

Try finding some reins that are smaller in width I had this problem as i have small hands and always wear gloves, my reins are 1/2 inch wide. You may find that synthetic reins are more comfortable I have to have leather old fashioned me lol. Good luck with your course

1. I would use narrower reins, I have small hands too and hate 1" reins.

2. Practise - it will get easier and more comfortable

3. Find a really nice pair of gloves (they don't have to be expensive, just some that suit you). Fine leather gloves one size too big are usually recommended. Leather are the nicest but I often drive in normal cheap pimple palm riding gloves (correct size as these are stretchy enough for that).

Wally has a tedman harness (I think or is it a zilco?) she might know what width the reins are. If needs be you could always change the reins as it is very important to have reins that suit you.

I am doing my course in Erdigg Wrexham North wales.I Have learnt a lot already.I don`t think i will do the exam.I will be going to cheltenham To the races that week of the tests, but the test is only a road test.
I think the course is great idea even for people who have been driving a long time.

I have some soft folded leather reins, my fave, but they are cob size and far, far too long for the small guys, but I always use them for the Fjords and Ielandics.

I drive with 5/8inch reins, I hate having a hand full of 3/4inch reins, I was asked to drive with 1 inch reins for my exam and asked for thinner ones which I was allowed without any problems.

Echo Esther. Coachman rein handling takes a while to become natural at. Once you have it though, it is so much safer and easier to drive like that.

Two handed is fine for schooling and driving trials, but there is no way you can shorten your reins in an emergency.

newrider.com