Driving Insurance

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
After hearing a few stories about not being covered if you take a passenger in the cart. Does anyone know what insurance companies will or wont insure you.
Supposing you have a groom/ helper whilst breaking the horse to drive and you have an accident my understanding is that if you insure with the NFU the groom would not be covered. They would be in your cart at there own risk. Havent spoken to NFU yet.
Im just wondering if any one else has come across this, and who do you insure with.

If you are a member of the BDS you used to get free third pary insurance.

I never actually knew that about passengers in a cart! how silly as its more dangerous to drive alone! sorry I cant help you my employers used to deal with the commercial carriage insurance, I did know they were not allowed to use horses for commercial use under 6yrs old ( irrlevent and useless fact!)

Im not fully sure if its true but that's what I've ben told, I need to explore. I know someone else has just taken out a special insurance to cover there work. I gather that they would have had to ring the NFU in advance if they wanted to take a passenger on there cart. It maybe that it is only if they are doing paid/commercial work. It might not apply if they are helping with training. Will look into it more. I need to check with the BDS as well.

Reactions: Gimp
I don;t think it is true, third party is third party, and they cannot pick and choose. I remember years ago the insurance company of the woman who wiped me out at traffic lights came up with blaming me for my injuries as I was to blame as I chose to go out on the road. The courts threw that one out. Contributory negligence is one thing,

newrider.com