Driving but not competing

amylou_84

Jul 3, 2002
Edinburgh
Visit site
Does anyone here have a horse and trap but use them for going to the shops :eek: Or visiting friends or any daily/weekly goings on?

I would love to have a horse and trap in the future for this purpose but im just wondering if people actually still do that! When i lived with my parents in Ireland there was a guy that went past our house on his trap every week as he did his shopping lol.

I am planning on breaking Arnie to harness but I just want to go for wee wanders about - picnics and sunday papers type thing:). Wanna come over and help me:D

Cherub!!

Although his owner is hopeing to do some soon!
There is another lady on the yard and she just plesure drives :)

I used to do this with my driving pony - go to Kwiksave and the corn merchant, deliver bags of manure - and one year went on a camping holiday with him.

No where to park either of them if going to the shops.Have however stopped off at pubs, fish and chip shop, local shop and used to drive Rhi home

I didn't have any plans to compete, but I did enjoy going around cones when I went to see my driving pony and perhaps hubby can be persuaded to get me a trailer soon? I am looking forwards to exploring the lanes around here - and going to post a letter etc (nearest postbox is 2 miles away). Our nearest shop is 7 miles away, so when Ben is fitter we may trot over there!

Ali xx

Amy - if you can make it on the 9th pop along to the tack party - chance of winning driving lesson or you could book in for some if you were interested x

Blue used to take me to work and back until i was made redundant.She would rest in a little paddock while I worked then we would drive the 5mls home again in the Saddlechariot.
Unfortunately I can't do that where I work now

My pony used to belong to an old man who lived just outside Dublin and he used the pony and trap as a mode of transport, going into Smithfield market and generally driving around town. In fact he was seen heading in to the market one time with a second carriage tied on behind with baler twine like an artic! I suppose that was the only way to get the 'for sale' cart to the market! :)
We will toodle out to the pub on a nice afternoon and we love going on a long pub drive with the pair with friends, the trouble is when you get there, for safety you need someone at their heads and the driver up on top - I just wouldn't have it any other way. It is nice having drinks in the car park or drive though and we always get lots of people coming up to say hallo.

newrider.com