Driving bits

Miriam

Jun 24, 2000
Peter has a habit of pulling and fighting with the bit. He usually drives well and is not too much of a problem with spooking etc just want's to go fast, slight weaving and throwing of head around.

Teeth etc been done and checked.

He's in a liverpool at the moment any advice please of whether a different bit might be more suitable.

He's a Shetland right??

I have found that none of mine like a Liverpool, must be the general shape of the mouth, so far not one has accepted a Liverpool and it is no longer my bit of choice to start them off in.

We use a combination, generally, of Wilson snaffles with one or two joints, or Butterfly Pelhams with one or two joints and various metals for the mouthpeice depending on the pony.

Haffy's and Fjords and Welsh D all went happily in the Liverpool, Shetlands, to a man, don't go sweetly in them

No jo he is a thb X cob 15.2hh and loves to canter everywhere.

This is when we were first breaking him in

Attachments

• 100_0431.jpg
    100_0431.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
he did go into a myler combination bit, but we have recently managed to bring him back into his full cheek snaffle

Don't have the shettie anymore

My employer is off down to Windsor next week to compete with her Welsh Sec D gelding.

He was part of a team for a while (in the wheel), but he was inclined to try to pull for the whole team, so he came here to drive as a single pony.

When he first came he was very strong, tended to lean on the right rein and was inclined to tank off when asked to extend.

My employer has done a lot of good work with him, and has tried lots of different bits with him...........but the one he is in at the moment is the best she has found, and he goes really well in it.

It's a Pee Wee bit..........not the first thing which springs to mind when discussing driving ponies, but it is working..........they have qualified for the Nationals. :)

Dinsario He hates jointed bits.

Will look up the Pee wee and see how he goes as apparently he is being a *** now and I dont know if he is just wound up after being kept in due to mud fever and need energy release or if he has pulled something at the drive

newrider.com