Driving a pair

LisW

Nov 13, 2007
Suffolk
Any advice on learning to drive a pair please?

Have driven single for several years now and really wan to move onto driving a pair. Hope to put my single driving pony together with another pony eventually, but in the meantime my 10 year old son is taking over driving him single (under his Dad's supervision).

I decided it best to start pairs with an established pair so have invested in a lovely pair of 32" Minis. I do plan to have lesons with them, but am really looking for some pointers in the right direction - books, videos, etc. in the meantime.

If you can drive a single you can drive a pair. Lessons are your place to start, I moved up from singles to pairs of Shetlands and had lessons but unlike you took the less sensible route and broke my own (and then tandem and then unicorn) but your route is definately easier and more sensible! :D

I must admit I don't have anything specifically on pair driving, all mine was from lessons and general driving books. although I know there are more videos/DVDs out now than there were when I broke my pair (14yrs ago :eek: ..but on the plus side the younger and surviving half of the pair is still going strong at 22 and nothing has gone wrong yet :D )

Jane MacInnes has a superb DVD out, called "Double up" I think! you can get it from her or from the BDs or lots of other websites.

It covers all aspects of adjusting the harness, putting it on, suitable vehilces and different styles of pair driving.

Jane presents it in a very down to Earth easy manner. It's an excellent thing to have in your tack room.

I have put quite a few pairs together over the years, not all have got along and I have had to chop and change, but in general they all agree to rub along together.

Driving Shetlands is great fun, they always have something to say about what's happening and have a great sense of humour.

Esther I forgot to tell you, there is a fantastic pic of you and Polo going hell for leather in the cones in the ii summer memories mag. I have a copy if you want one, it's a double page spread!

This is the pair and Spider Phaeton that is used in the video, I got them to drive for my intermediate exam.
Orlov-trotters.jpg

And these are a few of the pairs I have put together over the last 2 years.
IMG_4003.jpg

RHS200.jpg

rinky-and-whiff-viking.jpg

IMG_1867.jpg

viking-show-2006.jpg

and my original pair of haffy stallions
stowandstraussascot.jpg

Last edited:
newrider.com