dressage today - with pics

M

mu0ljk

dressage today - with pics just added a video!!

I posted this in the dressage section but I don't think many people are around in there so I have posted it over here instead!

After pannicking about doing the Prelim 17 test on a long arena we managed to get through it and I was really quite pleased with how he went!

Sid is quite a lazy horse who knows how to conserve his energy, shall we say (!) so I worked him in and then checked there were no horses too close and razzed him up the side of the field to wake him up a bit!

We got 62.92% with a mixture of 6's and 7's with one 5. The comment at the end was, 'nice obedient horse but could show more roundness over the back and activity from behind, so well tried.'

Looking at the pictures and video I think you'll probably agree thats a fair comment! Oh we got the 5 because we were rather unbalanced going into canter and broke - infact I'm not sure if we might have struck off on the wrong leg to start with.

Anyway, here are the pics. Feel free to critique but if you could offer advice on how to overcome any problems you see that would be super helpful! Thanks! :)

HPIM4527.jpg

I think we had just gone from trot to walk
HPIM4530.jpg

How much on the forehand are we!! :D
HPIM4531.jpg

On a long rein on the loong walk out of the arena!
HPIM4534.jpg

And just after all those TERRIBLE plaits out!!! (Not very good at plaiting!)
I like this photo!
HPIM4541.jpg

Home sweet home....
HPIM4550.jpg

So all in all - I was pleased with how it went! :cool:

Right, just managed to add the video to youtube. Fingers crossed lets see if I can put it on here.

The judge said we were not round enough or active enough. I was trying to encourage Sid into an outline - his head comes down a few times - do you think I need more leg to engage his hind-quarters? Also, do you think I need to give a little more with my hands? Am I restricting his head?

Thanks again!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_JgKKF8rp8

Any comments?

ps do you think I need a hairnet?! :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
You have a beautiful horse! I'm glad you did the show as I am very fond of showing.

The only thing I would say is for you to keep your heels waaaaay down. In some of the pictures your heel is above your toes. Having your heels down will probably also help you feel more balanced in the canter. Also, try to keep your toes pointed in and not pointed out. My trainer always tells me to think about glueing my kees to the saddle as if to keep $100 from slipping out and that usually helps me bring my toes in.

michie said:
My trainer always tells me to think about glueing my kees to the saddle as if to keep $100 from slipping out and that usually helps me bring my toes in.

Do you mean knees?:eek: Shouldnt be gripping at all!

Those are superb pictures, you both look very smart and he is gorgeous!:D Is it me or were your stirrups odd? Just heels down and elbows by sides.... which would result in giving sid an inch or 2 more rein.:)

Well Done :) Lovely pictures too, especially the one of you two after the test.

jenren!! said:
How big is your horse? Or have you just got short legs? :p.

Jenny xx

Ha ha ha.

(Thats a sarcastic laugh by the way. ;) ) Lol!! :D

Weeell, actually yup I suffer from short legs! :D He's 16.2hh and I'm 5 ft 4" and he's rather fat at the mo and on a diet so it makes my legs look even shorter cos they are round a barrel at the mo!! :eek:

Vimto92 I don't think my stirrups were odd - possibly I was trying to push him into the corner - my legs do have a tendency to slip back when I use them :eek:

Michie - yeah you're right! I think at the mo my legs are the bugbear! I seem to have got into the habit of having my toes out at right angles to the horse -and yes now you mention it you are right my heels are up aren't they! Ooops! :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
mu0ljk said:
Vimto92 I don't think my stirrups were odd - possibly I was trying to push him into the corner - I think my legs have a tendency to go too far back when I use them :eek:

Ahh right! Well done on your test btw.:)

Thank-you vimto92!

I have just ventured onto youtube and have managed (after a couple of go's) to download the video of us. I have added it onto the original top post right at the end. Any comments?

Thanks!

I thought it looked like Antrobus from the piccies!

Echo the comments about your lower leg - needs to be more forward on the girth area with more weight in your heels. The horse needs to be moving more actively forward, stepping through from behind more and I would be inclined to concentrate on this for the moment rather than trying to get his head in. You won't be able to get a true outline until he works from behind into your contact.

When he is going more forward just be careful that your half halts are coming from your fingers rather than your whole hand - as you come down the centre line for the first time his head is a bit unsteady. This is a form of evasion but you can make it possible for him to be evasive by not giving him a consistent contact. So as your hands move he either moves towards it or against it (this is my biggest fault with my own pony well ONE of my biggest faults!).

Having said all that it was a very calm obedient and looked to be an accurate test and he looks a lovely sort plus that was a very respectable score so keep up the good work!

Are you out and about anywhere else soon? (I'm in your area btw!)

Nice pics you both look great! Well done for the test aswell- i've got to do prelim 16 in a long arena next wednesday :eek:

Thanks for the comments!
LeslieR thats very helpful thanks! I had a lesson today and thats exactly what we were working on - trying to get him to work from behind. We did get there but oh my it was a HARD lesson!! :D

Also regarding what you said about my half halts coming from my fingers rather than from my whole hand and keeping a consistant contact all the time - I looked at the video and yes I think perhaps I may sometimes be a little heavy handed with the half halts - something to keep in mind!

Thanks really helpful and has given me a few pointers to keep in mind!

So, I take it you have been to Antrobus before? I am not a member and I have no transport so it's a case of begging a lift if there are any spaces in the trailer or wagon! :p I am hoping to go to the open show at Antrobus later this month though. We sometimes go up to Mitchells as well up by Chomondley (sp!?). How about you!?

I'm in the same position - no transport so have to rely on kind friends to get us out and about. My sharer did Antrobus ODE a couple of weeks ago. I really liked the showground - lots of space and nice flat arenas which had actually been mown!

We tend to knock around a bit further North than you - Croft, Cockshot, Bold, occasional trips to Osbaldeston. Like you it depends on who is going where and who has space on the wagon!

newrider.com