Dressage today - complete with bucking!

DITZ

Dec 31, 2002
Visit site
First dressage test since Oct last year where we got 66.3% doing the same test - Novice 24. Todays score was a mere 58% but was heavily marred by the huge bucks.:D One scored a 2...I quote "Well sat! huge bucks". Judge even got out of the car at the end and said that if she could give me extra marks but sitting them she would. Nice but I'd rather just have a horse that didnt buck!;)

Interestingly though both bucks were during the same movement on either rein. That cant be a co-incidence, so I reckon I may be doing something myself to get them such as putting my leg too far back or shifting my weight. I dont know. Both were across the diagonal just before x and the give and retake reins. The first one we did manage a GR but he was unbalanced and he dipped a bit, the second one, well lets just say GR was impossible!
Went back into the warm up after the test and only on the 4th time did I not get a buck. 4th time I concentrated on really pushing him forwards rather than collecting him.

So, any ideas on what I might be doing to get this reaction?

Well done for sitting to the bucks. It was a bit of a co-incedence that he did it on the same movement on each rein. Maybe you should practice on that particular movement and see if he still does it :)

You still did well even if you did get a lower mark than last time :)

yes too much of a coincidence for my liking. I did practice when we got out and he still continued to do it. He is a sensitive horse and if I put my leg too far back he takes offence to it. I think maybe as I'm turning I'm catching him with my outside leg or that I am unbalancing him on the turn maybe.

Despite that it wasnt a bad outing, if I take out those 2 movements and the penatly I incurred for going wrong immediately afterwards we'd have come in at about 62.5% which isnt too bad.

Last edited:
thank you! It was lovely to meet you at last and thanks for helping to make it run smooth in such bitter weather!

I didnt hang about for the final results but pretty sure the rosettes went elsewhere;)

I had a brief look, dont think you got placed unfortunately. :(
Was nice meeting you and Fly too, you'll have to meet Paddy and Bertha soon. :D
So many people didnt bother turning up, guessing it was because of the weather, but id say i think you should be thankful yours was so late because you got to warm up in dry weather!! :p:D

will be there quite a bit this week, got lesson Tues, TS demo on Weds, school hire Friday and sj comp Sunday (hopefully with DavidH in tow). Might see you there.

Have just seen its this sunday. :eek: Im going to have to get on my knees and beg to Anne or someone - i can then ride in it too...Give you guys some competition. :p
Im going to the TS demo too. :p Might see you there too.
Ive got a jumping lesson tomorrow, hopefully on Libby. Last monday i rode her but got all nervous because the last time i rode her i fell off her! Libbys the one i briefly mentioned earlier, the one who spooks alot.

Definitely starting to sound like something going on other than just high spirits.

The good thing about this is that if you can work out what's causing it, you can do something about it, or at least be prepared for it (unlike mine which is all 'waaaayyhaaayyy!' and could happen at any time :rolleyes: )

Good luck, hope you get it sorted soon and back to normal.

Theres something in the air at the moment isn't there? All my horses are very lively at the minute - I think it's always like this this time of year - a change of season, windy horrible weather thing. Sounds like you've got a busy week ahead of you! But maybe he didn;t particularly like that movement, so may have been a coincidence. Something to work on at home I guess.

i've got my first dressage clinic on Sunday, and then my first test 2 weeks after on Byron to see how he gets on. I've never done dressage before. We're doing Prelim 4 :D, and maybe even Novice 21 if he goes well. I've never done dressage before. By the sounds of it, you have a lot of fun! Where abouts do you got to do it? Are you affiliated? Because your from Nottinghamshire aren't you?

DITZ said:
hope you have a good lesson!
Hope you have a good lesson on tuesday too. :D
Think ive had enough falling off for the time being, must nip down to b&q to buy some better superglue! :p
Got horses booked up for my jumping lessons for the next 3 or 4 weeks so far!!:rolleyes:

crazystevie said:
But maybe he didn;t particularly like that movement, so may have been a coincidence. Are you affiliated? Because your from Nottinghamshire aren't you?

Wouldnt have thought so, we've done that test before and it should be quite a straightforward movement but I think I may be unbalancing him somewhere along the line.

Yes we are affiliated, we dont go far TBH, mostly Brack, Barton, White House Farm sometimes Bunny although thats usually during the week and we did the Area's at Sheepgate last year.

newrider.com