Dressage Test in a Thunder Storm...

M

mu0ljk

Hi guys! Well I was entered in to do prelim 18 last night, and all afternoon I was watching the rain and hoping it would be cancelled (it was an outdoors arena), but I was told that no it was still on. So we left to go and it was actually sunny and dry at the time but...when it came to my turn the heavens opened with a growl of thunder (luckily no more thunder and definately no lightning in sight during the test! :eek: ) and we got absolutlely drenched! Poor Sid did not want to do it - we started off ok but gradually started doing everything sideways and when it came to cantering each time I asked him he cow kicked! I think we did this about 4/5 times before he grudginly struck off into canter and then I lost my stirrup right in front of the judges car - although whether she could actually see me.... :eek: Our halt started straight but didn't last as Sid immediatly swung around out off the rain when I saluted! The comment I got at the end of the sheet was 'well tried you kept your composure'!! :D I think I was laughing at the end of it!!

Poor horse! I couldn't blame him really!! Needless to say I didn't get placed! ;)

Oh how I sympathise with you!!!! We did a Prelim 18, but had thunder storm going on as well and biggest cracks of lightening I have ever seen. Ours was indoors, but the warm up areas were outside. I was directly after my friend, she went into start hers, as I was waiting outside the heavens just opened, just as if someone had turned the tap full on!!! Drenched was an understatement. Then as my friend came out and I was about to go in another almighty strike of lightening I swear was only yards from me made me and horse jump - did not realise just how much it shook us really, as did not really compose ourselves before the test. Bless him my boy Ben did the best he could, but not me. Perhaps not so horrendous as yours by the sounds of things, but perhaps it is August and prelim 18!!!!!
Good luck with your next test however!!!!

Well he got a good rub down and a big hard feed when we got back which stopped him looking quite so affronted with me!

And yeah the judge was really nice. They were doing a special walk trot test for adults who wanted to have a go but weren't confident enough to canter - they got sunny weather though :p

Last edited by a moderator:
newrider.com