Dressage Question

Morganna

Feb 23, 2006
North Lanarkshire
OK my recently acquired RI is a major Dressage chick and she is damn good at it too. So have had 5 lessons with her working on getting Sam moving from his bum instead of "dragging himself around on his front legs" as I call it:D And also encouraging him into an outline and bending and so on. Also been working on my inability to keep those damn heels down:eek:

Anyhoo, I go for my lesson on Thursday night to be told that she has entered us into the Level 7 Prelim dressage test. This was met with a totally blank look from me as I had no idea what she was on about.

I have never been a huge fan of dressage but apparantly that is what I have been doing in my last 5 lessons - fair enough - but I still have no idea what a Level 7 prelim is.....so could someone please enlighten me as to what is required and what one should wear to such an event?

:eek:

emlybob

Jun 3, 2006
You will be absolutely fine. Prelim 7 is one of the lowest level tests u can do. It involves walk, trot and canter, some circles in each pace and a free walk on a long rein. I can't tell u exactly cos haven't got the test in front of me.

You want to wear white or cream breeches/jods, smart black boots, shirt and tie or stock, a show jacket, gloves and your riding hat either navy or black.

Your horse should wear a simple snaffle bridle, no martingale and his normal saddle with a numnah to match his saddle or a white square.

Most of all tho enjoy it and smile!!!! Good luck

phyzelda

One day....
Jun 26, 2004
Nr Bicester, Oxfordshire
Visit site
Ive just read through the test and its a lovely test, very straight forward nonething complicated. and ive ever ever ridden two tests in my life, but from reading the test id jump at the chance to ride it.

just go have fun!! :D

LindaAd

Feb 20, 2000
Dorset, UK
Visit site
emlybob said:
You will be absolutely fine. Prelim 7 is one of the lowest level tests u can do. It involves walk, trot and canter, some circles in each pace and a free walk on a long rein. I can't tell u exactly cos haven't got the test in front of me.

You want to wear white or cream breeches/jods, smart black boots, shirt and tie or stock, a show jacket, gloves and your riding hat either navy or black.

Your horse should wear a simple snaffle bridle, no martingale and his normal saddle with a numnah to match his saddle or a white square.

Most of all tho enjoy it and smile!!!! Good luck

My little What to Wear book says that you should wear a black, navy or tweed coat with stock or shirt and tie; hat should be black brown or navy. It doesn't say anything about saddle cloths, except that you shouldn't wear a British flag unless you're officially representing Britain!

I always used to wear a hacking jacket rather than a show jacket, I think it looks better at that level.

You can find a copy of the test at some tack shops, or here:
www.dressagecollections.com

Linda

DITZ

Dec 31, 2002
Visit site
horse cant wear boots either. Any colour saddle cloth is permitted altho white is the norm. No bit rings either.