Dr Cook Update

Jiouxles

Nov 25, 2005
Andalucia, Spain
Well it arrived in sunny Spain yesterday and today I took it down to the yard this afternoon to see what Mayoral thought of it...

As there was no one there except me I decided to follow the advice in the accompanying leaflet and put the Dr Cook on Mayoral along with his French link snaffle - sort of double bridle style. To start with he just chomped on his bit as usual but when he realised that there was no contact on his bit and that something different was going on he stopped fussing with it. After about 5 minutes I took the snaffle off and we carried on with just the Dr Cook. It was great! We were only walking and trotting because I was erring on the side of safety but he responded really well. It really brings home to you how your whole body gives cues and directions to your horse. He was a bit strong the first time we trotted but he soon settled down - probably when he realised that no bit doesn't mean total freedom and the next time I asked for trot he was a perfect gent and he went back to walk when asked.

I was worried about stopping (even from walk!) but he stopped on the button with no fidgeting (which he does with the bit).

We're both impressed so far. Tomorrow we will try out in the big arena and try some cantering as well. When I think that he was considered by everyone who knew him to be 'too strong' to be ridden in anything other than a Pelham, to have him in no bit at all is a big step for both of us. We shall see.

newrider.com