Dr Cook Bitless Bridles

miriam vernon

Ted and Daisy's Slave
Nov 11, 2004
derbyshire
groups.msn.com
I've been having a chat with Megan's Mum on the Torsion saddles thread about Dr Cook bitless bridles that I had never heard of. Having found out a little bit more I am very interested in it, but am curious about anyone elses experiences or opinions.

Do I or don't I give it a go?!

Yea, give it a go!! :D

Ive got one on my tb ex racer. She goes really nicely in it, was really stressy in a bit. Very high head carriage and just wouldnt relax, jogged everywhere.
She is much better now, much more relaxed, she actually walks, I didnt think she could!lol!
Ive tried the Dr cook on my HW cob, but he doesnt like the pressure under his jaw, it just about stops him, but when I apply pressure he pushes his kead right up and tries to run away from it. Thats my only bad experience with it. Plus im finding it a bit fiddly to put on, but my girl does try to climb over the door because she wants to go! :D

Thinking about it

Since Phoenix gets so agitated with a bit and the hackamore we tried is far too small (he has a very big head), I'm considering it as an option. I like the idea of a 30 day trial so if it doesn't work I can always get my money back. My only reservation is that we have trouble just leading him in a Monty Roberts pressure halter - he ignores it and runs off. When he decides to go we just can't stop him. I've a horrible feeling he might be just as bad in a bitless bridle, but I don't suppose I'll lose anything in trying.

Dr Cook

I've got a Dr Cooke bridle and think its great. I did find it fiddly to put on first time but after that it was a doddle. My mare never pulls a face when I get the bridle out to put on her, in fact she looks ready to fall asleep! Its definately worth a go but take the time to get the fit right.

I'd give it a go, I have one and really like it. We use it for hacking and I do have the control I need when it's sometimes required. I have the beta one, it's smart and easy to look after.

Trixie, if your horse ignores a pressure halter then he's likely to ignore the bridle too. What is he like in a bit? If you can't lead him in a dually are you sure you are using it correctly? Do you release the pressure instantly when he is behaving as you wish? Otherwise all he will feel is discomfort he can't get rid of and won't understand you. Have you tried doing some groundwork with him? It can make a big difference.

I Love mine!!! Definitely try one, you have a 30 day money back guarantee!

Drummer and I had a few steering issues but that has been resolved now.
The brakes are fantastic and Drummer is listening to me better in it, oh I could ramble on for ages about how great it is but go see for yourself!

http://bitlessbridle.co.uk/bitless-bridle-feedback.php there are lots of stories about them here including mine!

I use a Dr Cook on my mare. She loves it, I love it, I have control, steering, brakes, and can even get a lovely little outline in it :)

However, definitely do some groundwork first, then ride in a safe enclosed area. If you don't feel safe riding in the enclosed area, then don't go outside until you do.

These bridles are great on some horses, not so great on others. Don't put yourself in unnecessary danger.

Just thought I'd also mention that the action of the Dr Cook and the action of the Dually are completely different :)

Yes I'm in the Dr Cook Appreciation Society too :D if you go onto the 'Natural Horsemanship' board here you will fing LOADS of threads on the bridle and its use (and a very interesting discussion of the book started by yours truly) I wont ramble on about the bridle again, its all the threads!

I also use one of these. Beryl never really excepted a contact and was constantly yawning or yanking the reins out of your hands, despite regular visits from an excellent dentist. Since using the Dr Cook she has stopped yawning/yanking the reins. My breaks are actually better now as she is not trying to evade it. She seems happier and more relaxed. Steering is about the same as in a bit. I would really reccomend it.
I have the beta (synthetic leather look), which is great. It looks smart, is easy to look after and is a lot cheaper.
I have heard of horses reacting badly to it, so I would try it first in an enclosed space or even do a bit of groundwork with it.
Good luck, hope you get on well with it.

Hi Yann

Thanks for the reply. Phoenix absolutely hates a bit in his mouth. Well, it's more accurate to say he's totally terrified and gets in a right state. We don't really know what happened to him in his first 5 and a half years with bits, but we do know that he's terrified of lunging because he was whipped and battered round, rather than lunged properly. We think he's been really hurt by a bit cos he just can't handle it at all.

The problem with the pressure halter is that he takes off with you on the end of the lead rope. You're left with no option but to let go - I can't run as fast as he can canter and neither can his owner who owns the livery yard. So the pressure is relieved in full flight. When things are going well, there is no pressure and if he misbehaves then stops the pressure is released immediately since we let him apply the pressure himself, so when he stops the pressure is gone. Some days he can be led no problem, halting to verbal commands, walking on to verbal commands, absolutely perfect in every way, then just as you think you're safe - zooooooooom!!!!!!!!! There's no rhyme or reason to it, there's nothing that sets him off, it's like he's taking the mickey. So, we have a stroppy, naughty horse without a bad bone in his body, who does have genuine fears too.

Being led in a bridle made him go ballistic as the bit came into action if he didn't halt when asked. I've never seen a horse so scared. That's why I wondered about the bitless bridle. Also, if we use it as a headcollar we cut down on the amount of tack he has to get used to and if we can get him leading in it without fear, but with some control, it should bode well for riding. To be honest, I think he will get better after he's gone out at the beginning of May and joined the herd, but I want to try anything that will lessen the fear he feels without increasing mine :)

So far, it's the yard owner who's working with him, but I'm getting braver. She backed him last year for a previous owner, but then he didn't get ridden, so he's been turned away for a long time and we're starting again. Last time he was perfect under tack and we expect the same again, but we think it was through fear rather than willingness.

Dr cook bitless: good but not perfect

Got it for my horse about a month ago. I like the *idea* but the Dr Cook has a few things about it I personally would like to see them improve.

My biggest concern: a clever horse who doesn't want to stop will turn his head in such a way you'll never get enough leverage with the Dr Cook to turn his head. No control over head = unsettling. I don't mean as in a panicked horse... just one who chooses to go a certain way (like one day Chester decided he *must* go back to his paddock). I havent figured out yet how to work around this problem.

There are some really good threads on this topic elsewhere on this site. Just search the boards. :)

My biggest concern: a clever horse who doesn't want to stop will turn his head in such a way you'll never get enough leverage with the Dr Cook to turn his head. No control over head = unsettling. I don't mean as in a panicked horse... just one who chooses to go a certain way (like one day Chester decided he *must* go back to his paddock). I havent figured out yet how to work around this problem.

I am totaly with you and I know exactly what you mean. I had some terrible steering issues with Drummer at first. It was mostly down to training though and him getting used to the bridle!

He was always difficult, even in a bit. He could turn his head to the right and still go in a completely straight line! :rolleyes:

The Dr Cook taught me not to fight him though, I have to use lots of leg and give and take on the bridle to turn. You will never win a battle of srength with a horse. I have also just got the smaller size nose band and this has helped.

Very lenient policies

They really do have very good exchange and upgrad policies on their website! :eek:
I've been thinking about it for a while for Missy but was unsure how a Western (neckreining) horse would go in a Dr.Cook's.
But with a 30 day return policy and upgrading to leather (return for full refund of the Beta) it seems like there wouldn't be much lost by trying it.
So I have one Beta on order for Missy.
It's pretty pricy for synthetic! :( So I am going to use my own reins...
I really hope she likes it and it works out okay for her.
She can be a funny combination of clever, well-trained and head-strong. :rolleyes:

Good luck Karin- personally I think the action of the Dr Cook is similar to Western neck-reining as the head is pushed from the opposite side, not direct reined. As for the control issues flagged up here, can I say I've not had any less than in my snaffle, I've got the finesse to negotiate gates and even attempted lateral work. I have a happier more willing horse when I ride him in it, but no less control.

Hi there! I thought I would ressurect this old thread and see if any of you have any further comments on the Dr. Cook's? I am looking to try one for my 3 yr old. He seems to do fine with a snaffle bit (as fine as a green horse can be ;) ) , but I would like to be able to ride him in a bitless also. My main concern with the bitless is: what if something happens and my horse takes flight. Suppose he gets spooked on the trail, and he's off at a gallop, soon to clothesline me on a tree branch? Will I be able to stop him on the spot like I can with a one rein stop in a bit?

Hi
I rode my arab mare in a Dr Cook and she was very easy to stop and she really went well in it. It is a bit fiddley to put on at first. I had to change back to a bit tho for showing reasons. I have my beta one for sale if anyone is interested.:)

I use a Dr Cook to drive with - to the disgust of the BDS. I also know quite a few other people who both ride and drive with them. I will never use a bit on my girl again. Have to say though, they don't work 100% with every horse. Well worth a try, but be careful.

Very good...then I will try one on my boy. He's pretty laid back and hasn't complained about anything I put on him yet. I like the idea of not putting metal in his mouth though. I will report back on my experience.

My horse was one of those who most certainly did not like the Dr Cook - hated the whole 'head hugging' experience I think. I was very careful to use it gently, tried different noseband heights, and persevered for a couple of weeks - but in the end my horse simply got into a sweaty state at the sight of the bridle, so I gave up and returned it for a refund. Perhaps at 26 years old he was just too set in his ways! ;) I put back his ordinary snaffle bridle with magic bit and hey presto, he was a happy boy again. I ride with a very loose rein anyway so to be honest I'm just going to stick with what he knows and likes.

newrider.com