Dr Cook Bitless Bridle

Ems_and_Madge

Jul 3, 2008
I have just ordered a dr cook. i have been jumping and generally riding in a hackamore which she LOVES (loves having her mouth free, and jumps bigger and clearer). but i didnt have much steering in jump offs, and dr cooks are meant to help.

anyone tried or got one? love to hear :)

I've got one. Havent really got going with it due to waiting for my saddle but he was definately a happier horse. I'm not entirely convinced about steering and braking but I suspect that will come in time.

I've just bought a Micklem Multibridle as it fastens slightly lower so avoids all his little sore bits. I think he is slightly happier in it but its very similar.

He's certainly happier than he was with a bit. He just panicked and threw his head up and put his tongue over a bit then ran off but he's had lots of problems with his mouth and his teeth (which are apparently just due to his age and which should sort out eventually - according to the vet after nerve blocks and head x rays:()

My hubby made me a Cookless bridle!! (Dr Cook copy-like) I use it for driving, it's fab. He sells the biothane ones for £35 + p&p - a bit cheaper than originals!!

Hia as this is about sharing experiences with them.I have to say i hated them.i have friends who use them on all there horses and the horses go terribly in them.They lean on it and makes them very hard to turn and stop.You just get pulled out of the saddle.

Others may have used them and found them brillaint but i wouldnt touch them with a bargepole.I find they make them very stiff.All the lightness they once had goes and you end with a horse who only responds to a yank not a gentle twitch on the rein.

Id stick with the hackamore personally.But everyone has different views on these kinda things.I used 1 on my mare once for about 2 mnths and i had ti do alot of re-traning when i bought her out of it as she just got so heavy at the front and wouldnt respond to light aids.

Id be interested if anyone else has found this with them or those who have them and like them what itis they like.:)

Hi I use Dr Cook's on both my horses and am very happy with them. I've actually used them on 4 different horses and had no problems at all. Good luck with yours and have fun.

Just to update, I rode in the micklem 2 nights ago and the Dr Cooks last night. I think I prefer the Dr Cooks. I did have a bit of bother with steering but I think he's getting the hang of it. Its very strange trying to school as I am automatically doing what I would do with a bit - but nothing happens:). Although his head is up, it was up with a bit as he was constantly fighting it. He is clearly much much happier though so hopefully it will all sort itself out.

My long term aim would be bitted for school work and bitless for hacking but this all depends on how his mouth gets on. At the moment, I am planning a bitless summer to help him get sorted and forget his bad associations.

I rode Dolly in a Dr Cook for years and thought it was great, but she would occasionally stick her neck out and no amount of effort could turn or stop her. I swapped her into a hackamore which I'd previously dismissed as being too severe, and she's fabulous in it! Really responsive off a really light touch but on the rare occasion she sets her neck, I can get her back :)

newrider.com