Downhill conformation.

julia gulia

Dec 5, 2005
GA
We have a fairly new addition at the farm. He is an eighteen year old quarter horse gelding 16.3 hh and very out of shape. He has a very downhill conformation , when ridden, his head almost touches the ground. His owner doesn't ride him at all but has told us that he would be delighted if we did. We had his teeth floated (they were in an awful state, his mouth was shredded) and have put him on a glucosamine supplement. The owner doesn't know anything about his past, (he has only owned him for six months).
Someone, somewhere taught him some neat tricks and he is a sweetie:)
We are trying to get him into shape so I have been taking him out on the trails, lots of hill work all at the walk. I have had him on a loose rein and have to this point only asked him to "pick up the pace of his walk" which he has. When I first started riding him? we went so slowly we were almost in reverse:eek: . He always wants to trot or canter the hills but is very easily reminded to walk only.
Please advise me as to the best exercise regime for him. How much should I expect him to be able to do? He is so heavy in front and has obviously been working this way for quite some time. Thank you so much for any advise you can give :)

There is a difference between downhill conformation and being ridden downhill.
If it's a quarter horse, my bet would be that he was trained western pleasure, where the whole goal (seemingly) is to make the horse's nose go as low as it goes. And the slow part seems to confirm this. I would almost say 99% that he was a western pleasure horse.

That being said, your whole goal now should be to ride him forward. Get him moving.

If he is indeed built downhill, the only way to prevent him from going on the forehanfd is to really ride him forward and get him to lift his back.

LOTS of transitions and caveletti work set at different intervals will help engage his back :)

I think you have hit the nail on the head Storm Arion. Trust me, he most definitely has a downhill conformation but I think he has also been trained in Western pleasure. I ride English (one of only two at my barn) My main concern is being aware of his conformational challenges and not expecting too much from him:eek: You have made me feel better about my game plan for him. We shall work on transitions on our next trail ride. I must admit that since his teeth were taken care of he has been a much happier chap. Thank you for the good advice:)

My main concern is being aware of his conformational challenges and not expecting too much from him:eek: You have made me feel better about my game plan for him. :)

Just be careful here though, because just because he IS built downhill doesn't mean you cant' have success, especially at a lower level. We have 7 Grand Prix horses at my barn. 2 are buillt downhill and one of those 2 has the absolutely God awfullest conformation I've ever seen, yet he's doing his I2 right now.

What you need to realize is that (especially if he was a western pleasure horse, which I'm sure he was) if he is built downhill, it'll be that much harder for him to actively use his hind end. Not impossible, just harder :)

You'll get it though! and think how rewarding it will be to realize that you did it, despite his conformation

newrider.com