Downhill 5 year old

Aug 24, 2021
Hi all, I apologise if I’ve put this in the wrong category, I’m not sure where to put it.

I’m asking for a friend if mine, she’s looking at buying a new horse, he’s a 5 year old, 14.2 hh Appaloosa X. His butt is an inch or two higher than his withers. I would post some pics but he’s not by horse.

Do you think he’ll grow at all and even out, he’s really pretty and the only concerns of the buyer are that he won’t grow any taller or even out.

Thanks

What's he crossed with? Appy's are generally pretty even by that age.
If it's a big difference I would probably guess at 5yo they're not going to level out, if it was a tiny bit you might roll the dice on it but even that would depend on what you plan to do, for example you wouldn't buy a downhill horse if your only desire was to do dressage, but you might consider it for light trail riding if you really loved everything else about it but you'd still have to weigh the risks.

I think they want to do dressage and pony club sort of stuff, the horse is a Appy x QH, quarter horses are known for being downhill. How much does a downhill conformation effect the horse? Is it something that will stop the rider from advancing with that particular horse or is it something she can work with?

I'd say unless they're really keen on the horse then walk away.

I've known a lot of quarters high horses a 5, some level up but others don't. Given that you say quarter horses will often mature quarters high there's a better than average chance he won't level up.

While a quarters high conformation won't mean low level dressage etc is impossible it will almost certainly make it harder for horse and rider and a lot of schooling will be needed to get it to a point many horses start from. Why would you? Better to start with a horse more suited to the job.

Quarter horses shouldn't be downhill if they are conformationally correct.
Being built downhill will make it harder for the horse to get it's weight back as it tips their balance forwards, so getting the elevation and self carriage required for dressage will be much harder, it would likely limit their career. Horses already carry 60% of their weight on the front end, adding more puts more pressure on those front legs which are already more vulnerable to breaking down.

newrider.com