Dont Read This!!!!!! haha you know you will...

jumper-4-joy

I luv Ash!!!
Oct 21, 2005
California, USA
Ok hey everyone i just wanted to get your attetion with the title...:D . ok, i was just wondering which protective boots I should use for my horse. He is older and he gets ridden 2-3 times a week. Since he is older (22) I thought protective boots would be good. What kind?

I ride him english dressage like, soemtimes jump a little, and out on trails a little too. He is a big Warmblood with big elastic type gaits. He has never been lame.

So what kind should I use? Galloping boots, performance boots, splint boots, etc.????:confused: please help it is driving me crazy I have looked everywhere for an answer but havent been able to find one...:p
thanks!

I use splint boots and bell boots,but its only because my horse clips himself. On my older guy I don;t use anything...I don't think its necessary.

what about open fronted tendon boots, because not only do the protect the below knee tendon area, they also protect the fetlock area

piccy:
EskadronFlexiSoft.jpg

and for the back legs you could use these wrap around type things, i have some and are good
piccy: i know its showing them on front legs but you can use them on the back
images.jpg

well, boots really dont offer that much support at all. i really think the only reason for boots is to protect when the horse brushes himself.
my moms 24 year old mare doesn't so she doesn't use boots, my 6yr old does though so he wears brushing boots behind, open front jumping boots for the front.

some of the really nice performance boots may support a bit, but realistically not many boots really offer that much support. the ones that do will just cause your horses legs to be weaker anyway, by not protecting their legs they will be much more stronger themselves making them a little less injury prone.

For my boy I use over-reach boots and open fronted jumping boots on the fronts and brushing boots on the hinds no matter what i am doing with him, purely as a 'just in case'.

Knowing my luck they day I dont put them on him will be the day he hurts himself!

Cerys :)

newrider.com