Don't know whether to try a Cambridge snaffle (Magic bit) or Kimblewick?

Russet

Nov 14, 2009
My share horse is livelier than usual because of the spring grass. She's usually ridden in a crossunder bitless bridle, which works well on a quiet ride, but she takes no notice of it on a faster ride if she wants to go.

We were wondering about using a bit as a temporary measure until she's quieter again. She used to be ridden in a hanging cheek french link snaffle, but sometimes headshakes and isn't very responsive to it so thought a change of muthpiece might help. She's a Welsh sec D/connie, possibly with a little TB blood too.

We'd obviously like to try the gentlest option, but are not sure if there's much difference between the Cambridge (Magic) snaffle, and ported kimblewick. I know the kimblewick has curb action, and then you've also got the slotted cheek type which I've read is gentlest on the top slot, strongest on the bottom slot, and is in the middle if the reins are attached to the main part of the ring as usual. I think the difference in rein position affects how much curb action there is?

Would it be a good idea to start with the Cambridge snaffle, and then try a kimblewick if that doesn't seem to help? Some people say the Cambridge snaffle is mild, and others say it is quite severe - it's so difficult to know what to think with conflicting information. Also the rings are quite small - should it be used with bit guards/rubbers?

Your thoughts and experiences with these bits would be very helpful. Thanks.

The cambridge concentrates the pressure on the bars and lips, AFAIK, the port simply allowing room for the tongue to make the horse comfy. A thick mouthpiece is mildest, but large tongued animals find it uncomfy,even with the port. The cheesewire has the potential to be harsh if used roughly, but used gently many horses find it easy to have in their mouths. There is a middle width:wink:

The kimblewick has the potential to add some slight poll pressure, and to increase the pressure on the bars, especially if a slotted kimblewick is used on the lower slots. However, because it has larger, D shaped 'rings', it also applys some opposite cheek pressure when turning, especially if using open rein. A cambridge often has tiny rings, with the potential to slide through the mouth - unless you always use a drop or flash noseband.

Of the two, I prefer the Kimblewick :)

ETA: I wouldn't rely on rubbers to stop a cambridge sliding through the mouth - it would just take the rubbers into the mouth with the rings :eek:

ETA again: Does anyone know WHY it has tiny rings? is it so it can be used as a bradoon? Is it just to look neat - I know its often used in in-hand show classes for that reason? Or do small rings affect the action?

Last edited:
newrider.com