Don't know if anybody saw this.....

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
But what a terrible thing the other week on the news when it was telling the story of that poor lady that is in a coma due to using that hair dye. How shocking and scary. (Sorry if it has already been mentioned on here and I'm repeating myself - otherwise totally random thread!)
How scary that something that you can buy over the counter and in all innnocence use as a beauty product - I mean, not like it's a life-changing drug or anything where you sometimes think, well, fair enough there might be a tiny percentage of people that react - but that kinda risk for a hair product?!! I just wondered what any of you guys thought about it? I have bleached highlighted hair - just hope that the chemical in the dye is not in the stuff my hairdresser uses! Apparently you can become allergic at any time?

That is scary..:eek:. Fortunately i have not had an allergic reaction to hair dye in the past.. I have seen some awful photos where people have ballooned up to 3 times their size :skull::frown:

This poor lady is in a coma, and they've said that there is little chance of a recovery. How very sad, two kids and a husband - how awful for them and her. Scary thing is, she'd used it before and had done the patch test thing too without any trouble.
I cannot remember the chemical name - something beginning with p?! Am guessing it is in dark coloured hair dyes. It said something about it making the hair look natural - it was a well known brand too. Very scary.

This poor lady is in a coma, and they've said that there is little chance of a recovery. How very sad, two kids and a husband - how awful for them and her. Scary thing is, she'd used it before and had done the patch test thing too without any trouble.
I cannot remember the chemical name - something beginning with p?! Am guessing it is in dark coloured hair dyes. It said something about it making the hair look natural - it was a well known brand too. Very scary.

This has made me realise how complacent I have got. I use the same one e wry time and don't patch test despite knowing all too well that ingredients may change and our tolerance of chemicals can change.

There but by the grace of god go I.

Thing is, apparently this lady had done the patch tests without any bother - and had used it loads of times. I think it's a disgrace that a company can put something in that has even a slight chance of doing this to you - and not make you properly aware. I mean yes, I should imagine that you can have a topical (not sure if that is the correct term) reaction say on your skin or scalp but a proper anyphalactic (sp wrong I know) reaction is just awful, to react so violently is just awful.
I did a bit more research looking it up on the web and apparently it isn't unknown it to be an allergen like this.
Scary and wrong.

The implicated chemical is called p-Phenylenediamine.
There was a teenage girl who died earlier this yesr as a result of a reaction to hair dye.

:frown:

The implicated chemical is called p-Phenylenediamine.
There was a teenage girl who died earlier this yesr as a result of a reaction to hair dye.

:frown:

Yes, that is the one!!! How awful - as I said, if life-saving drugs or operations are involved then yes, I understand risks, but something that is purely cosmetic - and meant to be harmless, it is just awful. OH knows that each time he goes in hospital for his regular check-up because of his UC there is one in so many hundred chance that they will do more damage than good, but that is a different thing to using a hair dye. I just can't believe that they are getting away with it. Awful. I will be quizzing my usual hairdresser (she thinks I'm a worry wart anyways!) about it all....

But it's impossible to leave out things based on the fact that they might give you a reaction. There are many harmless natural things out there that can cause some people to react badly.

Very worrying though that she patch tested without issue.

Poor lady...I was going to do my roots tonight but now not so sure I want to.

My hair has been all different colours for years and I've never ever done a patch test....bad Liz.

newrider.com