Don't know how you parents do it?!

eventerbabe

Dec 16, 2004
Phew! i've spent the day looking after my 2 year old cousin. OMG. I so do not want kids!! she's lovely and adoreable and all, but it's SO tiring! i was fed up after the first half hour, by the end of the day i was going spare!

And don't even mention the poo factor - i nearly passed out when she had a dirty nappy! i personally think she should be potty trained by now but she's not and still in nappies so had that delight.

So, i now have the utmost respect for you guys running around after little ones. I think i'll stick with my horses ;)

LOL, I had a similar reaction when my sis gave me my nephew to look after - any time I volunteer for babysitting duties I have to take two additional days off either side to relax. Horses don't need constant supervision - I'm just not used to the lack of 'me' time. I am not cut out for it at all and have new found respect for mothers over the last three years of being an auntie.
My sis also likes to ask me if I'd like to change a nappy - as if its something I'm eager to do. I always suggest she comes to clean my horse's sheath. Shuts her up.

glad to hear i'm not the only one who likes to give them back ;) she is lovely my cousin but goodness me. i am so tired and my back is so sore from being bent over, running after her and picking her up. She's teeny weight wise but tall and doesn't half wriggle! i'm sure i'd get used to it (if not fitter) doing it every day but today has definately made me see i don't want a rugrat of my own too soon!

Big respect to anyone who has a kid AND then has to go do their horses. I'm about ready to drop now!

I have two boys very hard work and it is bloody hard but when they are your own what can you do, you have to just get on with it.

I love them dearly but some days I could just walk out and not come back :frown:

Its different when its your own. I don't think I could of looked after someone elses child and changed their nappy, but my own was ok. It is a bit like accidently picking up another dogs poo. (With a bag of course!) It should be warm but it is icy cold - ugghh. Then you spot your own dogs leavings, -ah. Yet I don't mind picking up any horses poo, strange that!:unsure:

i personally think she should be potty trained by now but she's not and still in nappies so had that delight.

So, i now have the utmost respect for you guys running around after little ones. I think i'll stick with my horses ;)

That is so funny :biggrin: Potty training is way worse as you can't tell them to 'go' when its conveinient for you! They just tell you at the worse moment.

Also, really do stick to horses -they are so much more straight forward

That is so funny :biggrin: Potty training is way worse as you can't tell them to 'go' when its conveinient for you! They just tell you at the worse moment.
oooh I remember the star charts, Soph was two but Josh just wasnt ready till a bit past 2 and a half, its not as easy as you think and does have to be done when they are ready or you need industrial carpet cleaners in rofl :biggrin:

I have a two year old daughter and can most certainly say it's easy enough when it's your own...

if Esmé gets herself hung on a barbed wire fence...she's mine, it's ok! If she gets filthy in mud or poo or just about anything else she can find....she's mine, it's ok! and if she walks behind/under/through a horse and gets knocked over....she'll learn!!

I have a bit of a relaxed approach to parenting and just kind of do what I do, she fits in round me. Sounds a bit selfish and neglectful but we obviously make plenty of time for her too and she is very well looked after and a very well behaved two year old.....so far!!

She's getting easier as she gets older...the tiny baby is easy as they sleep all the time but as soon as they're on the move they become more complicated until they can understand basic instructions. She is actually really good fun and not an hour passes where she doesn't have me in stitches....so I don't get to ride as much as perhaps I'd like...pffft! Wouldn't swap her for the world!!

Sorry...bit gushy mummy!

lol, personally I don't find it that hard, although it can be fustrating at times. Before I had my fifth I used to childmind as well so would my four as well as a additional 1-3 at times.

As for potty training, they are all ready at different times and tbh having a nappy on can be easier for the carer then a child new to pottytraining lol. You don't get 'wait a minute' in the first year of potty training really.

Mine first was 16 months when first trained and wasn't properly clean and dry until about 3. My 2nd was first trained at just over 2 and a half and was reliable within 2 weeks. My third was trained at nearly 3 and was reliable within 2 weeks. My fourth was trained at 2 and was reliable within 6 months. and my fifth well he is nearly 2 and a half and we'll be starting potty training soon. So I suppose no matter when you start you don't really gain any extra time until they are ready sometime between 2 and 3.

Mine are now 11,8,5,4 and 2.

There is no 'should' where potty training (or many other aspects of child development go). It's mainly not about targets, just about what's easiest for the child. As when training horses, you do all you can to set them up to succeed. Earlier isn't always better or something to be aimed for and can cause more problems than it'll ever solve. I look at my daughter who, thanks to the system, started infant school just 3 weeks after turning 4! Looking back I should of held her back like one of my friends did.

The child has to be ready, with the language skills in place, the parents have to be commited as this is something you need to concentrate on and 'having a go' isn't good enough and can lead to more problems. Lastly, the household has to be as ready as it can be. No point in 'trying' just before a family holiday or time of upheaval or stress for example.

My neice will be 2 at the end of this month. There's no way on earth she's anyway near ready to potty training and her family situation isn;t the best just at the moment either.

Its different when its your own. I don't think I could of looked after someone elses child and changed their nappy, but my own was ok. It is a bit like accidently picking up another dogs poo. (With a bag of course!) It should be warm but it is icy cold - ugghh. Then you spot your own dogs leavings, -ah. Yet I don't mind picking up any horses poo, strange that!:unsure:

:giggle: I'm glad it's not just me, but there's something horrible about picking up cold dog poo. Don't know whether it's just the temperature, or also the fact that it's someone elses dog? :frown:

And don't even mention the poo factor - i nearly passed out when she had a dirty nappy! i personally think she should be potty trained by now but she's not and still in nappies so had that delight.

I would be thankful that she is still in nappies. It takes a good while for a child to get the idea that you have to reach the toilet or potty before the poo starts coming out. While I agree that other childrens poo is never nice to clean up, it much better taking it out of a nappy compared to pants/trousers/carpet/bathroom/walls or where else they choose to put it! There are not many places in my house that I haven't had to wipe up poo from!

Children are hard work. I don't think that anyone realises just how hard they are until you have them. That's the reason I'm always in bed by 9pm!

Perfect job for big Cuz, potty training!

I was lucky, mine potty trained himself by 12 months old....but he was walking at 10 months...... Don't ask me how to potty train kids, min was already trained......can't get him to tidy his bedroom though!

I think the day I realised I'd never be set for kids was the day that my two and half year old potty training nephew was taken to the toilet by my mum and then asked if he wanted to sit on his auntie's knee. I obliged and we were watching thomas the tank on tv, then I felt something warm on my legs and my instinct was to push what was on my knee off me. Nephew landed in a heap on the floor and started crying. I felt awful.
He got his own back and did it again, this time he had a pull up on and still managed to pee on me. Grrrrrr! Told my sis I wouldn't babysit until he was trained. Its taken ages - they do say boys sometimes find it more difficult don't they?

By the sounds of things - i've been lucky! My son learnt to walk and talk at a very early age which was just as well as I dont "do" babies:biggrin:

My friends wee girl would do a poo in her nappy and then cover her hands in said poo and smear it all over the walls in their house = nice!

Needless to say, they weren't invited to other peoples houses very often!! Children are great when they're a tiny bit independant! Paying board money could be handy too!

It's always easier when it's your own - defintely.

I've got a nearly 2 year old and safe to say. I'm not doing it again :D I like my sleep and in the early days when I was waking every 2 hours or so, I was one nasty pastie with my husband. All down to sleep deprivation, nothing he was actually doing.

I'm yet to do the toilet training bit, but I've come to the conclusion I'm going to wait until she can talk a bit more and tell me herself when she wants to start using one.

Somone else mentioned they have no problem clearing horse muck ? Same for me, give me any type of poo to clear away and I'll do horse each and every time if I had a choice ;)

They are only children really for such a small peice of time that all the bad stuff is soon outdone by the good and fun things that you do :D

newrider.com