Dominant (human) leg - anyone?

flump1967

May 19, 2005
new forest
In a weird twighlight-zone turn (whilst getting fit to resume my pony plodding) I have become a minor gym addict and having just started a new machine it is instantly apparent that I have a very,very,very strong left leg. The strength is out of all proprotion to the right. Instructor was mystified but a lady who was using the machine next door piped up that she had the same thing. Turns out she rides too.
Wondered if this was a one off or has spending my formative years clambering on and off horses (no mounting blocks in those days) left me one sided?
Should I be lunged more to the right to even me up?? :D
What about side reins???:eek:
Anyone else found their physique altered because they are a rider?

Cant say my legs are any stronger but my arms are. I can lift quite heavy things easily and, strange as this may sound I have very strong hands and fingers [OH calls me Hercules]

i don't know if it's down to riding but i'm generally very one sided. my right arm and leg are far stronger than the left. Even when i was about 12 and having physio on my damaged knee the physio noticed it too....

Yep definitely one sided.
Although I think mine stems from Fencing, I am a leftie so lunges are performed using right sided turbo thrust! :eek:(from right quadriceps I mean) RI reckons that my leg aids on right side are much stronger than left!:confused:

Should I be lunged more to the right to even me up?? :D
What about side reins???:eek:

hmm... I'd recommend a pessoa for you, just be careful where you fit the tail end of the rope :D

Seriously, yes, I'm much stronger on my right leg (used to run a lot, push off on the right), very noticable on leg commands, and perhaps as a consequence B is stiffer on her right side.

I'm pretty sure my left legs stronger, I always feel like my left stirrup leather is shorter than my right even when they are the same length and my left heel stays down easier than my right. Oh well something to work on!:D

My RI was going on about how because i drive (car) it has made me one sidded when riding. It is a real pain!

But i drive more than i ride.

My RI pointed out on Sunday that my foot was loose in my left stirrup and he said that from the back it was clear I collapse onto my right hip. Thought no more about it except I would have to concentrate on it in future until I got in the car to drive to work yesterday morning and noticed that as soon as I put my foot towards the accelerator my right hip hinges forward and my whole posture collapses! Aaargh :eek: I drive average 10hrs a week!! What to do!?

newrider.com