Dolly.... opinions

nat17

Minnie, Sam and Dolly
May 30, 2002
Cotswolds
Visit site
Well it looks like Dolly may have found a new home, and it has brought with it those doubting feelings about if I am doing the right thing.

I bought Dolly (14.2 Cob) as a 1 year old, for a few reasons
  • Company for Sam (as Minnie was poorly and may have needed to be pts)
  • Project for me
  • Something to possibly ride when older/big enough
Things in my life have changed, I now work full time, study part time, have 3 horses, 4 dogs and house and a husband. It was not this crazy for me ever, if it was I would not have bought her, it was with good intentions.

So I have looked to re home Dolly so she can be the main focus rather than a companion, she is 3 now and really ready to start her education. She deserves it, a person of her own.

I do feel sad about her going and really want to cement in my mind that I am doing the right thing by her and me.

My options are

• Let her go to her new home - with a lovely girl who I can see riding her and really loving her
  • Send her to be broken myself and then turn her away for the winter and try and find a rider for her next year (she is too small for me)
  • Not break her or do anything till next year

I could shoot myself in the foot as although Minnie got well, she is looking really old and could be pts before the winter if the worse came to the worse, then Sam would be by himself and he cant be, would I have buy something again etc etc

I was looking to move to livery with a school etc so if the worse happened to Minnie, it could be what I have to do.

I think I know what I am going to do - but what would you do?

If she is too small for you, I would sell her, even though it will be upsetting for you. xx

I would keep her and do nothing with her until you have more time. If your oldie is getting older anything can happen and it wouldn't be fair for one to live alone. Just my opinion! Don't
expect anyone else to think along these lines - but there you go. Will she always be too small for you? Please don't think I am being personal - just that like horses, we can change shape too! Mr T is sliwly losing his weight and will be okay to plod on madam again soon. Not saying you need to lose weight...god I am digging a pit!! You might be too tall for her. I had best button up ! lol

I would give it a good think, a 14.2 cob is a good weight carrier ( I am trying not to finish off digging what Trewsers started here)and once worked and muscled up can take height as well - you know her, you admit you may face a PTS before Winter and then you would end up in the same boat again and have to take another on, Shes only 3 - If mine I would seriously consider letting her run and mature for another year
she may yet put more height on .....

I wouldn't worry about turning her out for another year either, but if she is going to be too small for you anyway (and I have no idea how what size you are so am just going on what is said above) I would rehome her now before you get more attached.

Boo is most likely going to be too small for me but I'm hoping to make a driver out of him. Could you do something like that with Dolly instead?

Me personally given all your circumstances I would keep her. Ditto above you could take up carriage driving, is alot of fun !

The main reason would be if something happened to your other horse, your going to back needing another ! If costs are not to much of a problem I would certainly spend some time investing in her. Shes lovely :)

ETA: I didnt break my Cob driving boy in until he was rising 5. However in that year 4-5yrs old he expanded and grew ! His rugs the next year, I couldnt even fit the buckle together in the buckle holder.

If only this was 6 or 12mths or so on - I suspect the field we are getting is too big for my two and madams getting on... Need to spend some time convincing oh once we move I need a third! Hehe.

I would go with your heart - if she were mine I would only be doing hand manners anyway - no ridden work til four plus :)

Thanks for the feedback ladies... some answers

I dont think I will have the time to ride Sam and drive Dolly, I struggle for time for Sam sometimes now so for the next 6 years ( degree and masters) it could be the same. I know I would only have time to ride one now, not two. I am struggling to do any training with Dolly this year, where as last year I did loads. (no degree then)

I wouldnt ever keep Sam on his own, I would move to livery from home and in the short term there is a pony I could borrow.

Dolly's size, she is not 14.2 as yet but nearly, she will be light to medium weight so not up to loads of weight and not for a few years. I would not be riding a newly broken horse either, too much personal risk to do again, so I would have to find a rider for her.

Reactions: Gimp
I too would not normally think about breaking at 3 1/2 but she needs it, I was always against it but she is ready to start her education, not riding but starting the process.

Sorry, forgot to add, no money and space is not an issue -its time. I wanted to loan but its hard with a 3 yo, everyone is frightened that they put in the work and then I take her back...

I would loan her to the lovely girl that you think would love her and do something with her.

If something happens to Minnie, then you will move to a livery. Be far more fun for you, you will have lots of girls to ride with and you will do more stuff with Sam.

I am exactly the same as you with a full time job and I wouldn't have time to be bringing another horse on. If things don't work out loaning her with the girl, I would have her properly broken and then loan her out. More people want horses who are broken - there are loads around that aren't going for very much money.

I am going to be doing the reverse! I will move Tobes to the farm and find a small friend for him, BUT, only if all goes to plan and lovely fellow livery buys the house and stables up the road from the farm and moves her horses. I plan to get a small broken in pony who another liveries son can do something with, she also only lives up the road from the farm and will move her horse with Livery No. 1. Thats the plan anyway!! So I would want something that could do a little job and is small and hardy. Livery No 2's son will probably tire of ponies, but she can't afford to keep another, so as Tobes will need a companion it makes sense to get something that will be useful - if only for a while!!

I know its hard to let go, but I think horses/ponies enjoy having a one to one relationship and having a bit of a purpose in life - although clearly grazing is the main objective!!

I would loan her to the lovely girl that you think would love her and do something with her.

If something happens to Minnie, then you will move to a livery. Be far more fun for you, you will have lots of girls to ride with and you will do more stuff with Sam.

I am exactly the same as you with a full time job and I wouldn't have time to be bringing another horse on. If things don't work out loaning her with the girl, I would have her properly broken and then loan her out. More people want horses who are broken - there are loads around that aren't going for very much money.

I am going to be doing the reverse! I will move Tobes to the farm and find a small friend for him, BUT, only if all goes to plan and lovely fellow livery buys the house and stables up the road from the farm and moves her horses. I plan to get a small broken in pony who another liveries son can do something with, she also only lives up the road from the farm and will move her horse with Livery No. 1. Thats the plan anyway!! So I would want something that could do a little job and is small and hardy. Livery No 2's son will probably tire of ponies, but she can't afford to keep another, so as Tobes will need a companion it makes sense to get something that will be useful - if only for a while!!

I know its hard to let go, but I think horses/ponies enjoy having a one to one relationship and having a bit of a purpose in life - although clearly grazing is the main objective!!

Edited to add - we ALWAYS broke ponies at 3 when we were kids. They were none the worse for it, and it saved all the issues you get when they hit 4, are stronger and start having the kevin attitude. A lot of TB's are broken very young too - friends have breakers in and they always prefer them younger because there is always less of an issue. Nothing wrong IMO breaking them at 3. Am not sure when they had to be 4 came in!

If it were me I'd let her go to the girl who wants her. It sounds like a win-win to me - Dolly gets to enjoy some one-to-one and start her career, and the girl gets the opportunity to love and enjoy a special horse.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
From what you've said about time etc, I would let her go to the lovely girl too. It just sounds like she'll be an extra stress you don't need for the next few years (to put it bluntly) and if you have a fab home lined up, you needn't feel guilty about letting her go.

Reactions: sjp1 and Kite_Rider
I would say its something to do with the horses skeletal development rates SJP, cobs/heavies are also said to mature alot less slower. Unfortunatley as they 'look' ready lots of people break horses in early without thinking of whats going on with the 'framework'. Do you still gain control over her Nat17? is it like a full loan? at least then you could check on her to keep your mind at rest.

newrider.com