Doing up old trailers.

paris123

Jan 3, 2011
i'm thinking of buying a cheap trailer just for going to a few local shows and to my lessons.

Can anyone tell me a bit about doing trailers up? i'm thinking an old rice trailer....i know they need metal floors etc but thats about it...

Also can anyone tell me a bit about prices? and whether its worth buying something that needs work or whether you'll end up spending as much as you would buying a decent trailer?

Also what is the laws on towing now, i only passed my driving text in january so theres no way i'd be up for towing so my boyfriend would have to do it but i believe he'd have to take a trailer test?

not sure about the costs but your bf would defo have to do a towing test (unless he passed his test a long while ago!)

You need to make sure that the parts that make the trailer a trailer are functioning properly, ie the tow bar, axle, wheels etc etc.

Another problem with old trailers is any woodwork in them can rot, but you don't see it with the naked eye and need to poke at it with a knife...

Dunno if it's financially viable to buy a trailer that you may need to strip to it's bare bones and re-build...

twocents.gif

Yes OH would deffo need to do trailer trest as he took his test after 1997!

I wouldn't buy something that need stripping just maybe something that need a paint job and a new floor and what not. OH is a carpenter and is pretty handy so wouldn't have to pay labour and could get materials at trade.

But i've just been having a look around and you can get a fully refurbed rice for around 800!! which seems pretty good to me!

We bought an old Sinclair trailer "project" off ebay last month. I gave my OH the option of a project or a Rice that looked in much better condition and was just down the road and he opted for the Sinclair because he reasoned that if we do it up ourselves, we KNOW that it's sound. It was only when we got it home that we were able to really delve into the body work and underneath and find the bits that need welding. We could have paid £800 for a re-painted Rice and discovered that underneath was just as bad and so we would still have had more costs on top of our initial outlay. A lot of the newer trailers now have an aluminium frame and chassis but ours is old and steel. At some point in the future, we are going to have to replace the axles and these are currently priced at just under £600 for a pair.

With hindsight, I would buy one privately. When you go to see it, take a torch and a screwdriver. Get as far underneath as you can and give everything a good poke.

newrider.com