dogs on yards

IrishDQ

Mar 14, 2006
Ireland
Would you be happy to keep your horse on a yard that also has a kennels? (a boarding/show kennel) I'm just wondering really as I was at a yard the other day and the owner was saying that a few people had commented about the dogs upsetting the horses. My horse personally takes no notice of dogs at all no matter what size and I've never seen a horse upset by yard dogs barking etc, so I don't know, maybe some horses are less comfortable around dogs? *shrug*

I kept my horses at the hunt kennels when I was a hunt groom. The hounds went out right past their paddock on excercise. I thought it would wind up the horses but after a bit of prancing about the first morning they ignored them. The horses didn't mind the hounds "singing" either.

at my yard there are 3 rotweillers (a mum and two puppies)
and a jack russel , my pony is not fussed atall and is happy to have them running around her :)

when I first went to my rs years ago, the fox hounds were kept there, the perosn who exercised them used to take them out in braces down the path, e were always told to keep the horses out of the way, some horses got excited when they seen them run down the lane, there were about 40 of them!

Dogs would bother me more than Joy.

I don't mind the dogs on my yard as they are all pets and well behaved but the estate ajoining our farm has kennels and their barking is infuriating sometimes. I like my peace and quiet.

If the dogs are show dogs but kept kennelled then I can see no problem at all, show dogs tend to be very well mannered, if it was a normal boarding kennels then the dogs behaviour couldnt be vouched for. there are 4 dogs at my yard, there are livery owners dogs too that are often about, I am always more worried that a horse will kick a dog than a dog chasing ,hurting a horse xx

Used to take my two for a walk before catching in at one yard-the only problem was one gelding who thought he was a dog and could play with them like he was their size! I tied Beau up near a dog today so he could get used to it-don't know if he's seen them before much, even tho I was told he's been hunting. He was, surprise, surprise, more interested in snorting at the 'evil' shetties who were both snuffling through the gate: they appear fascinated by him and are determined to make friends! My last yard had 4 dogs that went wherever they liked: Beau shivered at one at head height (in the gallery) the day I tried him but never seemed bothered about them.

i think if someone moves to a yard and the dogs were there first then they cant realy moan about it. i have a dog who runs with the horses but if one of the liveries bring theirs up ill put mine away. i had to ask another livery not to bring her dog up as my other livery was scared of it.

I think if the dogs are well-behaved, and are sensible around the horses - not playing around their legs for instance (and I have seen that, but thankfully very rarely) there isn't usually a problem. I love dogs as much as horses, and it's such a pleasure when they come rushing over to welcome you.

Sometimes humans aint so friendly, so it's doubly heart-warming to get a lovely doggy fuss each time you go to the yard!

Roseanne xxx

Dogs and horses........match made in heaven :D,just my opinion, love to see horses and dogs living in harmony :)

Forest doesn't mind dogs unless they are black and white collies! (He got bitten by one at the last yard!:mad:)

My YM has a new puppy, he followed me to Forests stable the other day. Went running in before I could stop him, didn't see Forest and ran into one of his legs! :eek: The puppy just fell backwards and looked up at Forest with amazement, before turning and running for the exit! Forest didn't care in the slightest! LOL :D

Mine is kept at a yard where there are 2/4 (Depending whose there) dogs running around and non of the horses are bothered. The little jack russel thinks its fun to go eat from the horses buckets, thats the only time they don't like the dogs.
I've never been at a yard without dogs, and I've been at a fair few ;)

A dog breeder rents the cottage that is on the yard. I eel Ok about the bogs being there as they go nus if ayone is on the yard late at night ( I discovered this after returning late from show one night!!!)

They dont bother the horses and are quite hapy to watch them at he school fence. Plus the pupies are sooooo cute!!!!

I moved my horse to a new yard fairly recently. On about the second or third day, the dogs (of which there are many) came hairing round the corner, a few went under my horse, some went behind and a couple in front. I think my horse - who is a flighty Belgium warmblood dressage horse - was a little surprised, but I think it is good for her to experience such things - what if we met a charging dog whilst out hacking - I am fairly sure that she would be OK.
So dogs on yards are good - the more the merrier (but I am personally scared on them).

My old YO always had HERDS of dogs (ok, slight exaggeration!) around, because she had three of her own and then assorted ones that she was minding for friends. They used to potter about the yard with her when she came out to check the horses and play in the menage when there were no horses in and someone to supervise them. Two of them were very old, decrepit collies that I loved (normally like Rabo I'm scared of dogs) and they used to bumble around my stable while I was mucking out. I remember being in the tack room doing feeds and Meg, the slightly sprightlier of the two, clambered in to join me (my tackroom had a board across the bottom of the door that was about a foot high to keep out nosy ponies). Anyway, the other dog, Fly, tried to join her, but couldn't get her back legs over the board and got stuck half in, half out! Aaw, she was such a love :). One time we had a barbecue at the yard (in early autumn, so it got pretty cold when it got dark) and we all gathered our chairs around the mini barbecue to keep warm.....but Fly, bless her, is blind as a bat and kept trying to walk right into it! We very nearly had grilled dog!
I really don't mind dogs on yards at all so long as they are fairly well mannered. The only thing that used to annoy me was when one of the blacksmiths brought his dog onto the yard, but that was him, not the dog! Mainly because, the first time I met him (he wasn't my blacksmith) my mare was tied up on the yard and he parked his van behind her, which was fine as there was enough room. But, the passenger seat, which was where his dog was sat, was right behind her hind-quarters. So what did the genius do? He opened the door and doggy leapt out straight into Lou's back end! She was NOT happy!

No, wouldnt be happy with it. Neither of us would appreciate the noise and extra fuss that would be inevitable with such a set up. She gets wound up by dogs running around, and I prefer peace and quiet!

I think it depends on the horse. Doey is fine with the labradoodle at the yard, but any other dog that isn't the same shape and colour as that one she doesn't seem to like. She almost bolted in the school once cos someone had some bulldog style thing running about, and she got funny passing two greyhounds on a hack, and spooked at a poodle last week.

However she is also scared of other horses (not in a viscious way, she just will not go near them!) so maybe it's jst 'her' :rolleyes:

newrider.com