Dog Supplements - Pink powder?

Jay.o

Aug 15, 2002
Berkshire
Visit site
My partner has 4 dogs who we are sure are lacking in something. They have started to eat bits of their own poo (when it was frozen in all the snow and ice) and continuelly lick and chew the kitchen wall.

They must be lacking in some sort of mineral, surely?

We were looking at pink powder - the horse one as it's by the kilo. Is there anything in that dogs can't have? I've been looking up dog supplements and comparing them to horse ones with not too much of a difference. Can dogs have pink powder???

One is very old and has cushings, another is quite skinny and one is a serial wall licker/chewer...

Any suggestions?

Dnt really know the answer to your question but i do know certain breed dogs are more prone to eat there own poo :frown:

Iv always had staffies and thy have all tried to at some point. i know it is very hard and defintly disgusting to watch, i just try to clean the garden up as soon as so there is less chance of her trying to do it. they also have a thing for cat poo!!!!

Pink Powder has the vitamin and mineral content correct for the requirements of horses (herbivores) so I wouldn't feed it to dogs (carnivores). I'd say try giving your dogs B vitamin tablets to help them stop eating poo.

I was always told to mix pineapple with their dinner as it makes the :poop: taste bitter and they stop eating it, I was never told who found this outa:)
It is a habit that developes when young or if they have spent time in kennels, the only solution is to clean up as soon as they have done it, you could try distraction by calling them as soon as they look interested and offer a treat instead shaking a coke can with stones in can distract them as well.

We are clearing (or rather, he is clearing (I don't do dog poo :D))it up on a daily basis to try and stop them, but taking away the poop isn't solving the problem. They will still be lacking in something to make them want to do it. Also the wall licing we cannot help at all, therfore need something to supplement their diets.

No one got any good recommendations or supplements? Like a doggy version of PP?

What are you currently feeding, I had loads of issues with my old GSD some as you describe until I put her on James Wellbeloved and after 6 weeks there where some very clear improvements, all my dogs benefitted hugely from it and lived long a healthy lives. If you know any one who has a Battleys account you can get it cheaper. I have always put a small piece of rock sulphur in the drinking bowl you can get it fromthepet shop it helps with itchy skin and has a cooling effect in the summer.

Last edited:
newrider.com