dog keeps scratching, any ideas?

MinnieMoo<3

Aug 28, 2010
Cambridgshire
we have a spanish water dog and he keeps on scratching his body, mainly his side where he can scratch with his back feet, he has a short coat atm (just incase any one googles and sees a dog with masses of hair :happy:) he has been doing this for a few weeks, he is up to date with all worning and flea treatment ect. we have tried to look at his skin, see if there is anything, nothing. he has had a bath, this seemed to help for a couple of days but still scratching (same shampoo as he was had since he was a puppy, might of used puppy version when pup but still same make), the time its taken me to write this he has scratched about 3 times! poor thing, its getting to the point of a trip to the vets is on the cards as there must be something causing him to scratch which must get quite painful for him

he is 5 or 6 (i do know but cant remember!) i think hes 6th on 19th october, he swims regualrly in the river and has never had a problem like this with his skin

any ideas?

Do you have Febreeze in the house or shake and vac or similar things?

That's is our vet's bete noir. He sees more dogs who react to that stuff than enough.

If you can't find any fleas or anything it could be something in the house?

My old JRT used to become irritated by frebreeze so had to stop using.

BTW we have a friend who has two huge hairy water spaniels. They are stunning dogs!! This is one:

hsurts.jpg

we dont use any air freshner or cleaning stuff really, we sounds like pigs dont we! the hoover comes out every now and again, my mum doesnt like 'disturbing the dust' too much as she sneezes for days after! :giggle: our house well and truly looks lived in and is no way near show home like! our house is clean promise :angel:

My old GSD use to do that until we changed her diet. And I always put rock sulphur in the dogs drinking water you can get it in the pet shop and just break a lump off.

Last edited:
We have an itchy dog that we spent an absolute fortune on at the vets having allergy testing done. We were told we might never find out what was the cause and we felt like we were throwing money at the problem. Now he has Piriton when he's itchy - up to 3 tablets a day, and no more itching...:happy:

just a quick update to say he went to vets in middle of week and its a bacterial thing and to blame the 2 cats :( so hes on tablets for the bacterial thing and other tablets to help with the itching, poor thing

newrider.com