Dog Food

V

vimto92

My Weimaraner is underweight and has colitis which doesn't help. What are good mild foods that aid weight gain?

Chappie & chips, seriously.

Chappie is often effective for dogs with colitis and potato & oil (= chips) is a good way of adding calories.

If you want a complete food try Burns, Wafcol salmon & potato or Skinners.

Spaced out small meals twice or three times a day is better than one large meal and probiotics can help too.

Weimes are often "box walkers" and I've found the best way to settle them is frozen kongs -filled with a bit of their usual food and topped with mashed potato to keep them occupied.
One memorable half term I had over half the kennel filled with Weimeraners as I could manage to keep weight on them & the word got around. (They are notorious for dropping condition in boarding.)
PM me for more info and contacts.

Sue

Thanks for that s4sugar! :D

Mom has just been shopping and bought him some Chappie after I told her your advise; he has just been having a munch on it, hes a bit wary though as other foods he has had aren't like it, bless him.:p

I know what you mean about the "box walking" - he is constantly on his feet! He has plenty of toys and some hide bones so he keeps himself occupied.

Max has pretty much constant access to food so its always there when he fancies it. I don't agree with one big meal a day either, I think its a bit cruel.

Do be careful when changing foods as a sudden alteration can upset things. It is better to add a little more of the new food at each meal over the course of a week.

Dogs are fill up and then digest it feeders (the opposite of horses) and should have gaps between meals so don't leave food down inbetween. I would try three meals a day.

Hide is a big no no for dogs with colitis.

Do be careful when changing foods as a sudden alteration can upset things. It is better to add a little more of the new food at each meal over the course of a week.

Thats what we're doing.:)

Hide is a big no no for dogs with colitis.

Oooh, thats interesting actually, because he has never had any problems with hide chews.

Add a spoon or 2 of live youghurt into his food, the best food that is very mild and easy to digest is James Wellbeloved - I would put him on the puppy biscuit instead of the adult as it has higher calories, but as others have said introduce over a period of days. Chips are probably not a good idea as they are very high in salt - especially shop bought ones and not as easy to digest as rice which is the carbs they use in the James wellbeloved food, it is expensive but worth it, you won't need to feed as much as the chappie either as the dry food does not contain so much water or rubbish. Although I would always add some hot water to biscuits and leave to stand for a few minutes before giving to your dog. If your dog is a picky eater I think they do a wet variety of the food too.
I have always used this on our bullterrier who is allergic to everything:rolleyes:, this is the only food she can eat without her skin flaring up, we also used it for our ridgeback puppies. We always recomended it at the vets and know several other vet centers that swear by it too, it's not just tripe and bulk like some of the cheaper feeds.

He doesn't like the Chappie so we are going to try him on James Wellbeloved wet food - he has had the dry before and thats not his thing either!

Def second the JWB! Love it, recommend it to everybody who comes into practice! If he's not keen on the dried you could try soaking the bicuits in hot water to make them a little more appealing!

Feed lots of little meals, min 3. You can also bulk out his feed with pasta, rice, chicken and scrampled egg.

All these thing he could eat pretty ad-lib and will all be very sensitive on his tummy.

newrider.com