Doesn't like his hoof supplement - help?

Nimbus65

Aug 15, 2005
I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the Metabolic section, but I'm sure some kind Mod will move if necessary :).

Kal is prone to cracking in his hooves so I've been giving him supplements, alongside applying Cornucrescine. He eats just about ANYthing, but so far, he's proven quite picky about his hoof supplements. He's currently on the Global Herbs powder and he was ok with the first bucket I bought (probably because his grazing was so poor that he was hungry when he came in). Since we've moved, though, and he's on better grass, he's started leaving his evening feed if I put the global herbs supplement in with his food (he ate it all up tonight when I left it out!). I've started leaving his haynet out until he's eaten up his dinner . . . but even that didn't work last night. I've just bought a whole new bucket of the wretched stuff, so I'd quite like him to eat it . . . any ideas on how I can persuade him? One thing I'd thought of was preparing it with some grated apple and carrot and giving him that before he has his tea . . . I can't give him molasses b/c it sends him loopy. I guess I could see if I could give him the whole wack in his breakfast (he generally hoovers his breakfast b/c he's hungrier)?

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance,

N

Is he stabled overnight?

If yes, go to ASDA get a feed bowl size tub trug, and leave his dinner in with him. My two aren't interested in feed if they have had grass, even if there is only nice things in it! Madam normally needs her "Christmas dinner nap" period when she comes in before thinking about eating it :redcard:

ours was the same with his GH lammi prone suppliment - so I got the liquid and spent months syringing it in, could only get the powder this time so put it in feed and expected the bucket thrown at me including contents, suprise suprise, he wolfed the lot and has continued to??? awkward little **** - so till he changes his mind again sticking with powder - cheaper as well!

Our Joe can be a fusspot, so I generally put his Biotin in the evening feed and mix it in well with some apples cut up. He was very fussy at first, but I persisted with it and now he gobbles it all up (usually). I was going to suggest to you, not to put his haynet in, but you've already done that - have you tried holding the feed bowl whilst he sticks his head in???! For some weird reason our Joe will eat it up if you hold the dish!!! Perhaps he thinks he's getting something new and novel......

Thanks all . . . I've actually given up . . . I've upped his D&H mix to help put some weight on him anyway and that's got quite a dose of Biotin in it . . . I tried leaving his haynet out (he gets VERY grumpy if I do that . . . it's quite funny to watch . . . he likes to have a mouthful of feed and then a mouthful of hay) . . . I've tried holding his feed bucket . . . I've tried disguising the supplement with grated carrots and apples and giving him that before his feed . . . none of it really worked and he wolfs his food if I leave the supplement out.

I'm keeping up with the Cornucrescine, he gets oil in his feed and, as I said, the D&H mix contains Biotin . . . that should be enough, no?

N

Does he get beet? For condition, you want fibre really - more D&H will give him more energy but if he's prone to getting fizzy it might have the opposite effect. I would include (or up his ration of) Speedi Beet, and put him on a good quality chaff like Alfa-A for his weight. As for his supplement, grating apples and carrots in might work, or you could try a different one. Formula4Feet is great but expensive, I am moving mine to Farrier's Favourite by EquineAnswers after hearing good reviews.

My very picky TB liked Formula 4 Feet - would eat it just by itself. Biotin is good, but is not all you need for horses with problem feet. Magnesium is good - but don't go for the oxide if you have a picky feeder. It is cheap but you have to feed far more than if you go for a chelated magnesium - more expensive but you use far less. Equine America has a good chelated magnesium but you have to feed more (in my experience) than they state. I used to feed 2 of their tiny scoops per feed (2 in our case) whereas they say one tiny scoop per day. The uptake with a chelated magnesium is better than magnesium oxide. And the Global Herbs magnesium he just wouldn't eat. Still have three quarters of a tub - so if you want it, you are welcome if you pay the postage!!

newrider.com