Does your horse protect you?

Under absolutely no circumstances would I accept or let any equine of mine "protect" me.

I would come down on them like a ton of bricks. Back them up until they are licking and chewing and apologising.

Thoughts like that would never be entertained.

Ever.

I did not ask her too nor did she do it cos taught to...I was having a laugh at her cos of her reaction to the shadows. She was hardly going to hurt a shadow was she :giggle:

I did not say "I let her" do it or away with it.

Its a shame I cannot post something without things being assumed or spending an age or every post incase someone assumes.

I did not ask her too nor did she do it cos taught to...I was having a laugh at her cos of her reaction to the shadows. She was hardly going to hurt a shadow was she :giggle:

I did not say "I let her" do it or away with it.

Its a shame I cannot post something without things being assumed or spending an age or every post in case someone assumes.

TBminx, you post far more than anyone else, NR is filled with your posts on a number of subjects, You squeal like a stuck pig if anyone disagrees with you or has a view you do not agree with.

If I was, as you accuse, to have a go at you on ALL your posts I would be sat at the computer all day and never move.
Get used to it, not everyone is going to gush and agree with every post you put. Statistically you are on a loser.

Malaika was known to be a madam with other horses if i was around,never with people though.
I have to admit to not liming the behaviour to other horses,i was more than capable of looking after myself in the field and when she showed any signs of doing it i was quick to back her up and remind her actually no im leader and do jot need you doing that.i think it could quickly become out of control and lead to a dangerous situation in the field when people are around.

I sometimes think we all read far too much into things on here, I'm not immune to misunderstanding what someone has typed and I imagine I post things that are misinterpreted, however, what Belle does in the field while I am with her and another horse comes close is in my very limited opinion just her being a horse, I am boss and Belle knows it but she will assert her dominance over another horse in the field. She has never kicked out or bitten any other horse while I'm around and under saddle or being led she won't take any notice of another horse.
I think Wally your horse did something similar while you were hacking the other day when she told the other horse off in no uncertain terms for being a tit, is this not just the same?

And MP know one said they 'felt they needed their horse to protect them' so not sure where that came from.

But hey ho the joys of the internet huh. :wink:

I think Wally your horse did something similar while you were hacking the other day when she told the other horse off in no uncertain terms for being a tit, is this not just the same?

And she got a row for it.

She was not protecting me, she was having a go at the other mare for upsetting the herd. It was a horse she had not met before and got the pox with it, took matters into her own hands and got a row for doing it.

I did not look upon it as an endearing act, I looked upon it as a behavioural reaction to a new mare joining HER herd, (she is gaffer in the field) and new horse's rider was doing nothing about curbing the silliness, the new mare was invading her personal space, so she reacted out of character, and then remembered that all bets are off once there is a human in the mix.

I know what your saying kite rider i dont think malaika was protecting me for one minute,purely i am the food provider so she was more bothered about that but still not a safe situation imo,our he4d leader alpha mare is exactly the same come brining in time,as soon as a human is but into the situation she becomes more so than ever alpha mare in that she is coming in first again this can be a pain in the backside as actually i dont bring them in so i dont want her and she is backed up and moved off by me just the way she has done to the others.
Protecting no i agree is the wrong word.
Neala is pretty low down bless her and just waits patiently,she is far too laid back a suspect to be bothered!

TBminx, you post far more than anyone else, NR is filled with your posts on a number of subjects, You squeal like a stuck pig if anyone disagrees with you or has a view you do not agree with.

If I was, as you accuse, to have a go at you on ALL your posts I would be sat at the computer all day and never move.
Get used to it, not everyone is going to gush and agree with every post you put. Statistically you are on a loser.

A forum is for posting and chatting and sharing.

I hope you are proud of yourself for being a twisted bully. There are ways to voice opinions and I do not one bit mind being disagreed with. If we all agreed life would be very dull but it is how you disagree and I know I am not on my own in thinking this on here.

I do not need negative nasty people so you will be pleased to know this is the last post from me so enjoy as I will be all the better off :biggrin:

Last edited:
I think sometimes mares have a larger personal space?

Mine gets on with all in the herd, but my poor visiting friends horse she actively hates it. Its the only time I have ever known her lunge at another and since I was riding at the time, she got corrected instantly. I have no idea on the why, we have hacked together a few times and I just keep my eye on her.
She has also kicked it, which neither of us saw coming, so I am just aware that perhaps if you are not part of her herd she doesn't accept you?

I have seen her break up two bullying another, the horse had been moved by the then leader and these jumped up little three year old thought it was a good game to chase him back! Mine just cantered through and bumped them all out the way, she is the only horse I have seen using her bulk to knock the horses out the way-dressage probably call it half pass!

newrider.com