Does your horse live out 24/7............

wiffy

Jul 19, 2005
..............if so what breed is it and what rugs do you have?

Pic's would also be nice :)

live out

Hi my 3 horses live out 24/7 however they are all heavyweight cobs. My ponys and tbs live in in the winter and out in the summer. My cobs were fleeces and the turnout rugs over the top. All 3 of they have access to a huge wooden shelter which i have straw in to keep them warm and dry if they want to have a lay down.

So you simply just put a waterprrof on and then a fleece underneath if it gets colder?

Both mine live out 24/7 ones a highland the others a cobby thing. My highland has a lightweight like rain sheet on mainly to keep him clean and dry just to make it easier when i ride him. My mare the cobby thing doesnt have anything on just out in a field 24/7 and she copes fine even though she never comes in as isnt ridden anymore is just a broodmare now.

I have 2 TB's and a Morgan who've been living out 24/7. (This year I also have 2 babies and an STB, will have to see how they cope). One of the TB's has a turnout sheet, a mediumweight blanket, and a heavyweight blanket. The other 2 each have a mediumweight blanket for the rare occasions they might need it.

Hiya,all mine live out 24/7 if they want too!!They have the option to come into the barn if they want but very rarely do:) Ive got a Dales,welsh b,shetland and a friends welsh a youngster.
At the minute none are rugged up even tho the welsh b has a partial clip!!
The Dales and welsh b have medium weight masta rugs with and without necks,plus saxon 1200 combo rugs, For the REALLY cold weather they have a heavyweight masta type rug with attatched neck cos i find that when its blowing a blizzard the loose neck seems to flip down over the neck leaving an area to get wet an cold!!Does that make sense:confused:
The shetland rarely gets rugged up cos of his brilliant coat but he does have a saxon combo rug if snow is really heavy(he also has a partial clip):)
The youngster has a saxon combo aswell but this wont be going on just yet as its not really cold!
hope thats not too boring:D

I have 2 X donkeys, a welsh Mountain Pony and a cob (Shire X Dartmoor) and they all live out 24/7. The donkeys wear summer turnouts, the pony wears a summer turnout part of the winter and a mast MW the coldest part. the cob wears a masta MW but he getting on a bit.

My pony lives out 24/7 day and night all year round. He's a Fell. Doesn't like being in. At the moment, he hasn't got a rug because he trashed it. I'll get him a lightweight rug when it gets cold and wet. (He survived for 3 years on the Fells without a rug).

Last edited:
Out 24/7 - 14 horses at my place including Tbreds, Arab's a Welsh and of course Quarter Horses.

No rugs except on the 31 year old - ample shelter and loads of hay :)

Just looked outside, and it's snowing again!

I have 2 TB's and a Morgan who've been living out 24/7. (This year I also have 2 babies and an STB, will have to see how they cope). One of the TB's has a turnout sheet, a mediumweight blanket, and a heavyweight blanket. The other 2 each have a mediumweight blanket for the rare occasions they might need it.

I am curious Galadrial.. a Heavweight in Florida? LOL not questioning you, just find that really odd!

Out 24/7 - 14 horses at my place including Tbreds, Arab's a Welsh and of course Quarter Horses.

No rugs except on the 31 year old - ample shelter and loads of hay :)

Just looked outside, and it's snowing again!
Oh our au pair is coming over from Galgray............she aarives Monday!!

hey

my pony lives out 24/7 all winter with just natural shelter in the field and some hay at night and 1 feed a day. atm she is in a M/W rug with a M/W neck cover as she has a blanket clip, when it gets colder she will have a fleece/duvet under her M/W and a H/W neck cover.

she done fine like this last year. she is also 22yrs of age and a 14.1hh connemara.

lozzie an pinxx

Oh our au pair is coming over from Galgray............she aarives Monday!!

Calgary horses are hardy ;) I think they can live thru anything - from +20- -20 in a matter of hourse.. hail, snow, sleet, sunshine.. all in the matter of hours. Anything weather wise can and does happen!! From covered in ice to sweating in the fields..

I wouldn't worry too much about your new commers :D

I am curious Galadrial.. a Heavweight in Florida? LOL not questioning you, just find that really odd!

Kat will not drink enough water in cold weather. I've done everything to try to make the water more appealing (extra fresh, flavored, warm, lots of salt in her food, etc) and it has no effect. But if I blanket her so she's just a touch TOO warm, then she drinks and doesn't colic. I hate doing it...but it's better for her to wear blankets than to colic every winter.

I have a TB and a New Forest pony and they both live out 24/7 all year round. The pony only needs rugs if she's clipped, a lightweight if she has a bib clip (to keep the wind out really). The TB isn't clipped ever, and is currently wearing one high neck heavyweight rug, under one full neck heavyweight rug (350g fill and 400g fill respectively) + a turnout hood to cover her face and neck so only her ears, eyes and muzzle peep out! Later in the winter when it gets really cold all day, I will be adding a mediumweight to that combination so she'll have 3 rugs on. At the moment it's about -2/3 degree C or so at night in the valley they live in.

Mysti will literally stand and shiver at the gate, all tucked up and miserable if left even to the end of September unrugged! She lost a tooth and got a slightly misaligned jaw as a baby from a kick, and finds hay and even haylage hard going so won't eat much at all. Only time she was unrugged 'till December was in a REALLY sheltered field, with a muck heap to provide heat, and knee high grass! She loves her rugs, and was extremely grateful for the turnout hood - I got lots of licks and nuzzles for buying it, and she is very patient as I pull it over her head.

We get *some* cold weather. It doesn't last too long and it doesn't get as miserable as it does in more northern climes, but we do get some. Growing up in a beachside town in northern FL, it was funny to see the people vacationing around Christmastime who'd come down and lay out on the beach in swimsuits. It was freezing, it was miserable, but they'd come to Florida, darn it, and they were gonna play on the beach!

newrider.com