does your farrier shoe in the stable?

mystiquemalaika

Jan 7, 2013
My old farrier used to shoe malaika in the stable he cold shoe though so didn't have all the extra kit,barefoot trimmer done it outside and new farrier did it outside but he has all the gear for hot shoeing etc.
Mystiques farrier down south shod outside but then started doing it inside as we had xrays to do each shoeing.

popularfurball

Learning all the time
Jul 18, 2005
North west
Very very rare it's done in stable due light not being great and safety aspect. There has been two occasion where we have had to due to torrential rain on one and snow compacting into ice (which I couldn't scrape off yard)

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
Very rarely, the weather has to be dreadful, and never to hot shoe since all the boxes have bedding in.

Wally

Apr 16, 2000
I shoe in the indoor school on the concrete bit by the door. A lot of time the wind can blow the forge out.

I have my little corner all set up, I'd have to move it all outside.

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
If the weather is really diabolical here we have an empty stable with no bedding down or anything in it that we use for either vet treatment or farrier work. I was a little worried one year when Joe was still alive with the hot shoeing as I worried about sparks etc indoors as our stables are timber, but I needn't have as nothing happened. Nowadays it doesn't matter as both girls are just trimmed. We also have a fairly big over hang too that helps keep both horse and farrier dry.

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Just noticed on our yard that the farrier hot shod three and all owners had them inside. All three had bedding.
My mare I always had outside because of better light.

Now unshod I still have this lass done outside.

Last edited:

KarinUS

May 20, 2001
Texas
users.wireweb.net
definitely not in the stall. he doesn't even do it in the barn aisle although I wish he would.
I trim in the barn aisle so I think it's what they are used to and Minnie might be less freaked out if he could do it there.
But he wants her on the concrete slab by the house.

joosie

lifelong sufferer of restless brain syndrome
Oct 28, 2004
New Zealand
Ours does them under cover on a concrete area at the end of the barn. He can reverse his van in and have all his kit easily accessible. He insists that they are held for him - not just left tied up for him to deal with - but it's where we store the hay so they usually have a bale there to keep them occupied. The only time he works in a stable is when he's doing a new youngster for the first time or working with a difficult horse (all ours are easy to shoe but sometimes we have liveries in with very bad manners!).

That's the stabled horses. When he trims the field-kept horses (all of whom are unshod) he's happy to just do them in the field. He'll just have one of us put a headcollar on and hold them to stop them fidgeting - though Mouse and the New Forests can be done completely loose and just stand there like lambs!

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Yes I forgot - joosie has reminded me. Before we had our stables built ours were done in the field or in front of their shelters.

notpoodle

Jul 16, 2003
Brighton!
Visit site
no, way too dingy and claustrophobic (ours stables aren't really used, we only have 3 of them for emergencies)! we have 'the hole' for the farrier which is a covered tie spot on the yard so he won't get rained on :)

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
It just didn't occur to me when I had a shod horse and definitely not for unshod. I wouldn't have thought it was safe, unless thats how he works I suppose?

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
Only if it's hissing down, but never, ever in a stable with bedding down? How would that work to stand the horse square and the farrier be able to see what they are doing etc. etc., with a load of bedding under his feet? Always on flat concrete outside. And I sweep it clean before the farrier gets here!:smile:

Oh I have just remembered we did once try pinning a very young, and very bolshy Bertie donkey to the wall in the stable to trim him - not a good idea, he flung me against the other wall and crushed me....a trip to A&E and two weeks in bed with my already knackered back!:giggle: Much safer outside to leap out of the way when it all goes pear shaped!

mystiquemalaika

Jan 7, 2013
I think it depends on horse,yard situation etc,malaika for some reason was happier and calmer been done in her stable by previous farrier so that what we did but no hot shoeing and bedding was lifted up against the wall.
She only had one trim and was outside she was jumpy and not comfortable on the gravel which made it harder for the trimmer but new farrier dine her outside we said we would see,if not an empty stable with no bedding was available with it been hot shoeing but turns out malaika was cool as a cucumber with new farrier and was very nosey with his truck and all equipment,we only went inside while he had the machine in for the shoes no idea the name sorry as it was noisey then we went back out and all was fine :)
Mystique had no issue where ever you were but when she started having remedial shoeing she was sedated and xrayed before,during and after shoeing this was made easier in the stable for vet and farrier.
Previous horses I've had were either done outside or in the field :)

TBminx

Mar 22, 2013
My mare has to be shod in the stable if I am not there to hold her as she is tricky shod behind though fine infront. She is cold shod as troublesome so we brush back bed and she is on rubber matting so fine til i get there.

If I am there and the yard is quiet she is shod outside but if it is busy then she is stressy and think will try her in stable as works better for her as she is settled eating her hay and its certainly less stressful for the farrier and myself.

Other lad is shod outside no bother or in covered area but even there she is a problem horse :redface: