Does the sunshine make a difference to your riding?

Kimmy C

Jun 9, 2009
Canvey Island Essex England
Silly really but I always feel more confident when I go up to ride and the sun is shining. Dont know why this is. Do you ever have days when you feel more confident riding and do you have any particular area where you hate riding but have to to get to where you want to? Does that make sense? I have to ride a particularly nasty blind bend if I want to go further afield. Della is fine but its me due to the fact that she was hit by a car many years ago (16) and I still cant get over it fully.

YES!!! Sunshine totally makes my riding better! Don't know why, it just does! I can hack for England with bags of confidence on a sunny day, but give me a dull, wet one and I'm not half so keen!!!!!!!
I am extremely lucky in that our school is right next door to their stables - so I don't have to go anywhere horrible to get to it. Hacking wise, again, very lucky as its all off road. Only part I hate is when the young bullocks arrive (we adjoin farmland and they "free range" lol). The bullocks are very cheeky and can sometimes upset Storm - one particular one nearly landed a good kicking off her last summer, it came sniffing her rear!!!! oh no!!!!! Needless to say, it didn't do my confidence any good - I was convinced she was going to tank off!!!!

When I had my horse I used to prefer going out in the bad weather because we were the only ones who used to go. I used to hack completely off road so we didn't have to worry about cars. I remember that feeling of being totally alone and knowing that no-one was going to come and canter up behind me and ruin my solitude. Because my horse was so bompbroof other people used to think nothing of approaching us quickly and it really used to annoy me!

yes definately. in good weather I find I concentrate better, Im more focussed and I ride better. In bad weather Misty won't listen, I slouch and my whole position goes to pot, I also tend to ride with no focus in bad weather

I don't often ride madam, but when its sunny I get "Lets gooooooo!!!!!" cravings and so off we go :D

I dont plan to ride her now as she can be so up and down with moods that its better for us to not plan as it ruins our relationship temporarily. That said, I am hoping to ride tomorrow and take Little Man too :D

Dont ride much in winter at all as pony is too tense and hungry, on his toes a lot.

Sunshine is far more relaxing for both of us. He is much more chilled on a hot summers day.

Sun suits us both. :)

newrider.com