does she need to get out more or do i raise the alarm and get a chiro?!

notpoodle

Jul 16, 2003
Brighton!
Visit site
yesterday i rode for the second time after getting chucked off. can't quite put my finger on it but pony was acting a little strangely (she'd been out in the field for a couple of hours before i rode btw). head tossing (teeth were done a couple of weeks ago, so it's not that) and when i asked her for canter she bucked in an odd fashion (not a 'whoopeeee' fashion, more of a 'err no!' fashion).

her turnout had been very restricted due to mudfever (vet advised she shouldnt go out for a while) and she has only been out for a couple of ours at a time a couple of times a week (mind you, she's usually standing by the gate wanting to come in after about an hour ...).

i dont know whether she is being a swiney because she needs to get out more or if there is something wrong with her eg back. vet checked her back a couple of weeks back and said there werent signs of anything being majorly wrong though. saddle is treeless so im pretty sure that fits fine.

not sure what to do now? wait till the summer fields open in may and see what she is like then? get a chiro i cant really afford at the moment? just ride and see what happens?

Julia
x

Hmmm. Is this only the second time that she's been ridden since your fall, or has someone else been on her? Have you been doing any lunging, longlining etc?

The first thing that springs to mind is that she could be lacking muscle where she's been out of work and stabled, and so is finding it hard to carry you and protesting.
Is she moving straight and forward in walk and trot, or is she reluctant and finding it difficult to work straight, falling in around corners etc?

What's she like on the lunge? Which vet checked her back? There's one from the RVC (if that's still who you use) that I wouldn't trust to check if my pony still had 4 legs, let along the state of his back!

Have you tried hacking her out, to see if she's still behaving strangely?

Hope you sort this soon x

Can you try bareback or a different saddle? I've learnt the hard way not to assume it can't be the saddle because it's treeless.

Otherwise I would get an osteo/chiro/whatever, finding a good one matters more than which type. Wouldn't consider back fully checked after being done by a vet, have seen far too many examples of vets missing sore backs.

lunged her about a week ago. she went off like a rocket, ahem :eek:

she was happy enough and forward (almost too much so!) in trot ...

@ alwaysfallingoff: it was erm shall we call him 'j' from RVC that checked her back and he's normally an excellent vet in my experience ...

have to admit though, that pony hasn't done anything at all when i didnt ride her, noone else rode her either, lunged the once (boggy school, dark etc) and she went in the little paddock almost ever day for half an hour to an hour with another pony, but all she does in there is mooch ...

difficult ....

julia
x

newrider.com