Does one have to lunge?

pepsimaxrock

Sep 29, 2004
Visit site
Haven't been on here in a while but folks might remember I have my 19-ish year old pony Max whom I bought out of our longstanding RS 3.5 years ago.

We have struggled and struggled with getting an outline for dressage - he will do it in lessons after loads of warm up and it is the mainstay of our - weekly or twice weekly - flatwork sessions. Its coming. I can get him in an outline in walk and after decent warm up - in trot - and after much more work he becomes a wee bit rounder in canter on the right rein only left rein still a problem.

Today I had a lesson with our fab YO which basically confirmed the above, it was a good lesson and incidentally was watched by another yardmate.

This other yardmate followed me back to the barn and basically started asking me what my lesson was all about - even though she had watched it. When I said - outline, as ever, she proffered her advice that I ought to lunge Max to get the outline.

Now, apart from butting in, and the fact that she never rides her horse, I fail to see why lungeing is necessary. I cant do it - I have no idea how to make him go forward or stop on the lunge, never mind the sophisticated sequence of inside leg outside hand and half halts it takes to eventually get an outline from Max anyway.

What do you all think - should I spend time and money learning to lunge - would that help - or should I just continue the way I have been going? Is there something special about lungeing - I just thought ppl did it to save time, or cos they were too tired / couldn't be bothered to ride..

x

Lunging is useful to take fizz out of a fresh horse, to vary horse's work so not always ridden, to teach commands and respect, balance and yes working from behind if done properly amongst other things.

BUT it does not have to be done! I do not lunge my mare as she hates it and explodes and after a fractured finger I have decided it is not worth it espec when she is not to be on a circle too long with her gammy knee.

Instead I loose school and do join up which I find more useful and enjoyable for both of us. I do however lunge the gelding on occasion but it is not my thing just as personal preference.

Why dont you ask your RI that you are working with as she knows you and your horse best not the other one!!

You don't have to lunge its a personal thing I have nothing against it but don't do it I prefer to long rein.
Like tb says I would speak to your ri about it and see what she says after all it is you,her and your pony that are working together ;)

If your instructor felt this would be beneficial she would say.
Someone watching isn't seeing what your doing. To have to ask you proves that one.

I do lunge but I put that under in hand work, I don't use any gadgets so I have to get the horse working without, you can do it, it probably takes longer I dont know.

It has benefitted us but I wouldn't say you have to.

aah thanks folks that's helpful. Like you all I have nothing against lungeing but don't see the need. I know if my RI(s) thought I should do this they would say so don't feel the need to ask them - but I know they do lunge their own horses.

I am thinking about learning to lunge for winter time -dare I say it - for my own convenience so I don't have to ride and get freexing cold for so long. But that's nowt to do with other people's views. xxx

I lunge sometimes, more in an NH way though. Sometimes I use a Pessoa but I suppose as I don't use it consistently its not really doing anything with regards to building up muscle.

My horse sounds very similar in that I can get a lovely outline in walk and sometimes trot at home but in comps it's straight back to pokey nose!

I can't see with your particular situation, that lunging would help really. I would be inclined to just stick with any advice your instructor gives you.

Pessoas can help with out line, but you do need to know how to lunge and how to use them first, maybe ask your instructor and see what she thinks.

Will Max go in an outline when someone else rides him? or has he never really learnt? At 19 he is probably pretty much stayed in his way of going and to my way of thinking it might be too much to expect any dramatic changes from him.

Im not particually a fan of lunging and its very rare I would do it, especially on a young or older horse, for the stress it puts on joints. Me personally I choose to long rein, I sometimes incorparate larger two rein circles into it. I think there was a thread recently about different lunge techniques and how its best not to go round and round in a circle.

No one has to lunge, of course! But it's been very helpful with Hebe, in teaching her to be more balance, supple and obedient, and to use her inside hind more on circles and turns. I won't ask her to canter a circle until she's comfortable doing it on the lunge; we're not at the stage of worrying about outlines, but if we ever get there, I'm sure I'll do it on the lunge first.

The great advantage of lunging is that you can teach the horse to go the way you want without worrying about carrying a rider's weight at the same time, and without getting in the horse's way (well, I know that there are lots of us who are perfect, balanced riders and never get in the horse's way, but I'm not one of them). And you can see exactly how they're going; I've seen Hebe getting in a muddle organising her legs when she's asked to canter on the lunge, and then working it out for herself - I'd never have seen that so clearly if I was riding her.

newrider.com