Does Charlie Know He Is For Sale???

Thyme & Me

Nov 23, 2011
Odd question! But Charlie has been much more aloof with me since I put him up for sale. He no longer comes over to me in the field straight away, but has a good long think about it first. He normally ground ties but the other day he just walked off and went to find some grass!! And then at the weekend he got spooked while I was leading him, and instead of placing his trust in me, he took matters into his own hooves and ran off. Just wondering if he can sense that I am selling him - or whether I am unconsciously different around him myself. He has always been an extraordinarily sensitive & responsive horse. The kind that canters when you 'think' canter! Anyone else have a psychic horse?!

I feel really sad. He will be someone's dream pony and the sooner he finds that person the better for both of us.....

I am reading a book at the moment - Margrit Coates, Connecting with horses- that says horses know everything we do :twins: which would be a bit freaky. There will be some change in body language that he will be picking up on, but you are probably unaware of. Why are you selling if you don't mind me asking?

He was bought as a family pony when my daughters were 4. They are now 7. He was a bit too small for me, but I thought he'd be fine till they grew into him, then I would get my own and they would keep Charlie. But he is not suitable as a child's first (or even second) pony. He's lovely but not a novice ride and not a child's pony. A really competent 10 y/old might be ok, but not 7. They are ready to start cantering off the lead-rein and just can't progress because he is too sharp and keen.

He is too small for me, so keeping him for myself doesn't really make sense. I kick his elbows and my feet hang below his belly! So we have made the sad decision to sell..... :(

he probably can pick up on the feeling that you are withdrawing from, i think they can tell certain things not that he is being sold but you are not as close to him.

:( sorry to hear that. Can't be easy as I can tell you are fond of him. Horse stilts, that is what is needed :biggrin:

I think you're probably giving off different body vibes without knowing it. Indeed, I have a mind reading pony, she can pick up the slightest thought pattern when we're schooling! Kinda freaked me out at first, but over the years I've lived with it I know what to do about it! Just don't think canter when you want trot........lol

Agree with Missmare, you need horsey stilts!lol

newrider.com