Does anyone use endurance tack?

Wobblydeb

Jul 4, 2004
Northumberland, UK
Visit site
I've been pondering what tack is "best"

I would like any tack to be the most comfortable possible for my (future) horse. And for that purpose I have been wondering what endurance riders use, and whether it would be suitable.

Anyone use tack aimed at endurance riders?

I have a treeless saddle that is aimed at endurance riders, it is very comfy and supportive!

Edit- plus it fits any horse

My mums friend is an endurance rider. she uses the webbing bridles that double as headcollars. she doesn't use an endurance saddle though, she has a regular leather GP saddle made by Ideal Saddlery.

Yeah, I know a few endurance riders, most of their tack is aimed at being light and comfortable for the horse.

By the way, im not sure about what others feel about webbing bridles, but remember they wont snap if the horse gets himself stuck on something. So, Id go for leather still.

I agree with No_Angel, treeless saddles seem really comfy for you and the horse, if your horse is happiest in one of these you should def consider it

Good luck

Jo

Last edited:
I use a Libbys bridle and these have lightweight buckles designed to snap in an emergency. I worry less now about webbing not snapping anyway..having seen one of my shetlands snap a heavyduty webbing harness trace in half when the cart tipped last year....

A friend of mine does loads of endurance (up to 100 mile rides) and has a specific endurance saddle, it has wider pannels to spread the weight further but other than that it looks pretty much like a GP but has slightly straighter cut flaps so they don't interfere with the shoulder. I have had many a conversation about saddles with her, From her point of view she would never have a treeless saddle as it wouldn't give enough support for either her or her horses when she does the long distances but there are lots of people I have seen ( I crew occasionally) using them for the shorter distances. I personally am looking at a treeless as my horse seems to constantly change shape and I have another one to back in the fall so it would be handy if my saddle would fit her too.
J

newrider.com