Does anyone trick train?

Dannii5691

Owned by Ponies!
Nov 16, 2009
Just wondering if anyone has taught there horses any tricks?

Jazz bows, gives kisses, touches things, stands on things and I'm about to teach him to fetch.

June rears on command - I know that many people think this is dangerous but she was a rearer anyway and by giving her a cue to do it and reading her and what situations would make her go up, taking her out of that situation and giving her a cue for it has made her much much better.

Although June is very clever she quickly learns things very quickly she looses interest even quicker!! Jazz sees it as a massive game and loves it

So do you teach your horses tricks and do you use a clicker??

I do. Not very well, but Ziggy will touch things, fetch, and I'm going to start teaching him to copy me this year.

I am not very skilled with the clicker, but he is so keen to learn (where food treats are involved!) that it has changed his whole attitude to work.

I do a bit of clicker training where I get them to target things or stand on them, I suppose you could class it as trick training but most of it has practical uses. I just find it enjoyable bonding time and the horses seem to as well.

taking her out of that situation and giving her a cue for it has made her much much better.

That is a recognised way of dealing with a problem behaviour, it obviously works :)

I've started doing it with Petri, we started with not so much a trick .. but getting her to respects my space as she can be very bargy where food is involved :unsure:, so I am teaching her if I move towards she backs up,

we also started getting her to touch things, to raise or lower her head .. and we started bow, and starting to teach her jambette (not going to well atm lol) which will eventually lead to a spanish walk :)

Just for a bit of fun I'd like to teach our pair a trick or two, but I wouldn't really know where to start?! Obviously, I wouldn't teach either anything that might later come back to bite me..........but it would be fun to get Storm to be so confident in me, that she'll lift her feet onto the mounting block in the school say for instance, and "pose" for a picture!lol, I sound like a frustrated circus ring-master............heehheheeeee

0082eed6.jpg

I've taught 'functional' tricks such as carrot stretches to bow and touching a target - but I'm using the targetting as part of spook busting so anything potentially scary gets clicked and treated if he noses it rather than immediately running away.
I've been warned off teaching tricks for the sake of it as it can backfire. I taught flip to kiss me and I stupidly haven't extinguished it yet - the other night I was trying to avoid his chaff covered nose and ended up with a fat lip much to my upset. I will only use my power for good in future lol, lesson well and truly learned!

Rafi has taught me to let him take my woolly hat off, then I have to put it on over his muzzle (like a nosebag) and blow raspberries through it onto his nose. It took him a while to teach me this simple task as I'm a bit slow, but I think I've eventually managed to grasp it. He repeats the exercise several times a day to make sure. No food treats for me either.

I've taught 'functional' tricks such as carrot stretches to bow and touching a target - but I'm using the targetting as part of spook busting so anything potentially scary gets clicked and treated if he noses it rather than immediately running away.
I've been warned off teaching tricks for the sake of it as it can backfire. I taught flip to kiss me and I stupidly haven't extinguished it yet - the other night I was trying to avoid his chaff covered nose and ended up with a fat lip much to my upset. I will only use my power for good in future lol, lesson well and truly learned!

*sniggers*

But it is nice to pretend they love you and kiss you because they love you... :D:D:D:D

Silver is in the process of learning to lie down :) She also kisses :)

I trick train Albert, but it is so he has a job in the end! He is very interactive and loves learning. He is being taught through the Horse Boy method. The first thing I taught him was to look away- so he doesn't try and mug. I changed it to look left, and then to look right, he can smile, he knows 1 (front left) 2 (front right) 3 & 4 (back legs) and I am in the process of teaching him jambette. Next is to stand on a pedestal. He isn't quite 2, and it isn't right for every horse at all. I use linseed treats that aren't that desirable, but he is a complete joker and it is our play time. Rhia knows her 1,2,3,4 - but I don't push it with her. It sort of insults her intelligence. Holly is quite sensitive and whilst she has done smile and look away, I don't push it with her as she would get upset if she got it wrong. Freja learned smile by default copying Albert! There are loads of tricks I have up my sleeves for Albert but we have ages yet.

I started teaching xander to bow but he did it every time I tried to pick his feet out & it got dead annoying! He always backs into his stable instead of going in normally. This is most handy for when I'm at the yard in 'normal' clothes that I don't want to get stable smells on, as he can back in & I can take his halter off without setting foot in the stable.
He also likes to pass me things, which is also a bit of a pain as he ends up throwing his bucket at me if he's been trying to pass it to me politely for a while & I've taken no notice!!! :D
And he loves standing on things anyway so pedestals are no trouble, even at liberty. Oh, and he can do a figure of 8 at liberty without me touching him at all.
I'd like to teach him lots of stuff, but don't really know how ;(

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328401188.581027.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328401188.581027.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 10
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328401230.441911.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328401230.441911.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 10
I love trick training.

Maddock kisses:
263804_10150218412672901_681922900_7161927_6466606_n.jpg

Kayla Smiles:
402470_10150513849302901_681922900_8742998_849023779_n.jpg

Bows:
387913_10150413315377901_681922900_8359798_709655413_n.jpg

She also does smaller things like touch a target, lift and hold her feet up on command, jump over thing while at liberty, back up with a finger wave and such.

MISS MARE: The look away trick is the best one. No more mugging just a horse that stand quietly with it's head away a little in the hope of a treat. :D

Last edited:
newrider.com