Does anyone Own/Loan/Share/Ride a Welsh Sec D?

Welshies are up to carrying weight.

My 6 year old mare is on the whole very good natured and sweet with me however she does have a mind of her own (has tried it on with smaller less dominant adults), is a bit spooky and can be opinionated.

I put this down to her age, greeness and the fact that she was just testing the boundaries of her new home. However a lot of the threads I read about sec d's seem to echo my experiences with Joy.

I'm sure that once she gets some more mileage under her belt she'll settle down.

Hi,

I've got a 14.1hh welsh sec d and he is the best thing that ever happened to me!

He is a real character, very cheeky and regularly has 'pony paddys' when he can't get his own way which are quite amusing:D

He is an absolute star to ride and I have even ridden him bareback and in a headcollar:eek:(Yes.....both at the same time!!!) which one year ago I would never have dreamed of doing :)

Can't say I would recommend one as a childs pony as they can be very stubbon and strong willed, you need to let them know who's boss otherwise you'll get walked all over.

Keep us posted:)

xxx

I also have a a 14.1 welsh D. He was the hardest thing to ride wheni first sat on him and took the mickey! but once he trusted me andi trusted him i cant think of a more loyal, fantastic pony! He would try his heart out for me! Best breed in the world IMO

Agree with all comments above! I've got a 15.1 gelding, strong willed, opininated. He's a little lamb if he's got a full belly. He's a bit too strong for me as he is very stocky so my husband rides him and they have lots of fun. He's a good weight carrier. He's very spooky if out alone and tries to take you home!

I have a lovely welsh d. He's utterly lovely, dead easy to handle, and a real character to ride. He's confident and non spooky but is clever and a big thinker. He likes to look at everything and reassure himself its OK. He will also try out any rider and if he finds them wanting, will take over and go where he wants, when he wants. Glorious little horse and loads of fun.

He will carry weight. Just as well with me as mum.:rolleyes:

I have been riding Xena who is a 15.1hh welsh section D for about 6 months now!

Apparantly they are also V stubborn!
Yes thats a load of rubbish! It just depends of the horse, some may be stubborn some may be good as gold.
Xena however is very stubborn sometimes, but othertimes brilliant. Shes a brilliant jumper and is a good allrounder.

Yes Welshies are good weight carriers!

Heres some recent pics of me and xena.

Keep us updated on how you get on ... good luck x :)

IMGP0732.jpg

mexena.jpg

menxena.jpg

We had one a 14'2 mare, absolutely fabulous pony. She could jump like a stag. She looked a lot like Xena except she had 4 white stockings. And she had impecable manners.

Ive got a welsh D, she is a stubbon, pigheaded, stroppy sod :D but i love her to bits. She is also bombproof and very brave and tries so hard when jumping.

Ah Maddisons Girl, at least we have D's that meet the breed standard. ;)

Daffy is fantastically stubborn in the school, and knows so many tricks (or just works out what works) it's unbelieveable.

Not all D's are stocky. There's a trend in breeding sporty ones, which are bigger, sleeker and prettier. I'm trying to find a decent stud to get a youngster from in a few years, and I'm really struggling to find another D of the same traditional stamp as Daffy, which is disappointing as I don't like the skinny ones.

I love the stocky Welsh D's as being a short but heavy rider I need a pony that can weight carry. I love that they have a mind of thier own, means for a more interesting ride. I will definetly be getting a welshie or a cross in the future. :D

I had a 15.1hh Sec D, Stockier type...

He was an angel, bombproof on the road in any situation.. tied up outside the pub!... loaded himself into a trailer!... 100% to clip/farrier...

Was a perfect boy. Popped a little jump ( not my thing! but he helped me!) ... Only reason why I didnt keep him as he wouldnt take to driving !which really surprised me!! :rolleyes:

As a family horse he was perfect. There was another sec D on the yard who O wouldnt of even sat on! He was mental...

so it certainly depends on the horse rather than the breed in my eyes!

The welsh reputation is justified. You cannot tell them what to do, you ask very very nicely! i'm going to steal mehitabels marmite analogy :p because some people love them, others hate them. I love them. I had a welsh section D for 14 years, and when we lost her to grass sickness i bought this little chap

DSCF0203.jpg

He's by my all time favourite stallion
http://www.welshcobs.info/pages/jantondictator.htm

I just adore welshies, i'm hooked on them for life. But they are complex little characters and do need to be handled and ridden almost sympathetically. You cannot control them by force. They don't take kindly to being told exactly what to do!

newrider.com