Does anyone own a ferret?

Not any more (gone to the great rabbit hole in the sky) but we had one for years - we nearly ran it over in the street, caught it, put out all the found notices and notified police/RSPCA etc and no one ever came for him so we adopted it.

Our daughter was about 6 at the time and would wander round all over the place with a stinking ferret tucked under her arm. She would annoy the neighbours by taking it for walks up and down the road and it bullied our border collie mercilessly!

If they didnt smell so bad Id have another one in a flash!

I have 5 adults, 1 hob and 4 jills. And an untold amount of babies at the moment as you cannot disturb them for a fair while after they have had the babies ..... watch this space lol

They are great fun and can be litter trained. They dont smell if you have the hobs "done" though.

we have ferrets, 2 castrated and one that we found on the railway near the yard.

the boy we found stinks to high heaven (not had chance to bath it yet) but the castrated ones arent too bad and are allowed in the house to run around (but live outside ;))

they have little harnesses and go for walks in the garden :D

When my daughter was about 8 she got it into her head that she wanted her own ferret, she even chose a name for it 'Bertie'! She nagged and pleaded but for once in my life I didn't give in - I bought her guinea pigs instead :)

I have 2 jill's called Sharon and Bernard (don't ask - we did know she was a girl too)
They are such characters and VERY entertaining.
I have to say though that they dooooooo smell.... and mine a spayed females, who are kept spotlessly clean, i couldn't keep them in the house, they do come into play though every day. and have harnesses and my 2 little girls take them up and down the street on nice days.

STA73200.jpg

STA73283.jpg

STA73296.jpg

STA73285.jpg

I bought them from a gypsyman who was chucking them around when they were babies at Holmfirth horse sales... probably just encouraging him to breed and mistreat again, but i couldn't leave them with him.
STA74398.jpg

STA74421.jpg

I get lumbered with them.
We have a lot of ferral ones, I have a reputation for taking them out of traps sans gloves.......if folk are too soft to shoot them (FRANCES) I end up with them. I have told her to get her neightbour to shoot them now,...... I have pletny.

I have a gorgeous hob (not castrated) although I may have to find him a new home soon :( He is struggling with living outside, loses a lot of weight and his tail goes bald and I just cant keep him inside as the house Im in is too small now.. gave it a go for a few months but its just not feasible. We never got him a friend or castrated him cause he was a house ferret up until a year ago and had the run of the place.

My auntie used to have two. One Jill and a Hob Kit.
Unfortunately the hob took a massive bite into my hand, and each time i nearly got him off he sunk into my fingers, was alot of blood!
(he was from working stock, not sure if this added to why he bit me, but was mostly my own fault, his toy was stuck in a corner, so i tried to get it for him,
and i ended up getting bitten)
And her Jill got ill and started nipping too.
I've been quite nervous of ferrets ever since, which is a shame because i love them, really wanted one.. :(
x

newrider.com