Does anyone live in Wales?

LokiSofi

Oct 11, 2003
New forest
You may remember a thread i did a few weeks back about buying a farm with my OH and parents etc. Well we have now all decided on Wales and OH has moved departmnts at his work meaning a higher salary and he can live anywhere now. Anyway we are looking at the Camarthen area and have a few houses we like. My parents house should be on the market in the next couple of weeks and my OH and I are only renting at present. We will be moving with my parents and living in a mobile home on their land etc and with OHs new job we should be able to buy our own place with land and a couple of stables within 12 months.

Anyway I just wanted to know if any of you NRs live there? I don't know Wales at all and have only been once and that was on business so didn't look around etc.:D

Funnily enough, i said to my OH about moving to Wales to buy a house with land. He thought it was a silly idea as we don't know anyone :rolleyes:

Good luck with the venture and hope you get what you want :)

Hahaha No_Angel we might end up as neighbours:p

Innocence we know nobody up there either but the properties are so well priced we can get land and stables etc for the same amount as we'd just get a house with a garden in our current area.

Hahaha No_Angel we might end up as neighbours:p

Innocence we know nobody up there either but the properties are so well priced we can get land and stables etc for the same amount as we'd just get a house with a garden in our current area.

That's what i said to him! :D

I live in Wales but sorry not near Camarthen, we're in Gwynedd. We moved back to my OH's family farm house last year after spending the last 7 years tinkering with doing it up. Anyway I can honestly tell you with my hand on my heart it was the best move I've ever made.

Good luck with the new venture. :)

live in Wales - moved 4 years ago - from Surrey

Wouldn't move back!

We've found the Welsh fantastic and I have better friends now that I have ever had in my life

My family is Welsh so we made sure we embraced being in Wales and fly the Welsh flag at every opportunity :D

Its a decsion we haven't regretted BUT you have to get used to the rain :p

happy bunny we too will be moving from Dorset:)

Rain doesnt bother me both my horses are good doers as are my sisters and my mums plus its a good excuse to build an indoor arena;):D

I'm glad to hear those of you who've moved to Wales have done so successfully and your only negative is the rain, and i'm so glad snowyboy that you've said you've found them friendly etc as was a little worried:eek:

This is going to sound really stupid but are there a lot of horse shows around?:eek::eek:

There seems to be more shows in south wales than in the north, there also a lot more horse friendly forests to ride in, Brechfa near Carmarthen being one of them :)

Hi, I have lived in Wales most of my life, did live in manchester for a couple of years but couldn't wait to get back. Definately not a city person. Live near Chester, so we are in North Wales and love it. The grass is greener on the other side, what with all the rain we get!!! But we are currently having lovely weather at the mo, 20+C. We are about 20 mins from beach and forest rides. (by vehicle I must add).

You can buy a 4bed house, stables and 4 acres for around £350k around here, as long as you don't mind being a little bit in the sticks. The biggest horse show we have had was Warrington a few weeks ago, 20 min drive down the M56 to get to it, there has been a couple of small local ones.

Last edited:
There seems to be more shows in south wales than in the north, there also a lot more horse friendly forests to ride in, Brechfa near Carmarthen being one of them :)

We were half way through buying a house in Brechfa earlier this year but it fell through. We found another house but in Powys/Shropshire and we moved in 12 weeks ago. I love it and would never think about moving away. I would say to anyone if you are thinking about it then go for it. I would also recommend spending some time in the area before commiting to buy (holiday) as some areas are more welsh than others if that makes sense. We live in a very welsh area, my daughter is in a welsh speaking school, but the locals are very fiendly and accepting of the english, but there are some places that are not as friendly.

Good luck and let us know what happens.:)

Snowyboy I did say it was a stupid question:p I thought perhaps it was all shows for welsh ponies and cobs:eek: apart from the odd one lol....Ok ignore my niavety....I don't get out much:p

No_Angel 2 of the houses we are looking at back straight onto Brechfa;)

phew. Mum has a couple of retired welshies but my 2 are not welsh (despite the fact Odin is regularly mistaken for one) Misty is Irish and Odin is New forest.

Im so jealous. I don't live in Wales but i would love to. Thats where i want to end up. I love it down near New Quay and cardigan bay, i love it! So any of you who live there any single men point them my way haha (no seriously ;))

newrider.com