Does anyone know anything about these dealers?

ladywiththebaby

Mar 6, 2007
Cambridge
OK I'm thinking about travelling to see some dealers in my quest to find a steady Eddie. But dealers worry me so I'd really love to hear from anyone who knows anything about:

Irish cobs in Coventry
Farringtons Coloured Horses in Coventry
Featherbed Horse and Ponies in Stratford Upon Avon

PM me if you'd prefer!

Thank you!!

I dont know of any of those dealers, sorry:frown:

But If you are prepared to travel to Stratford then you may be as well giving Thoroughlybred1 a call, she used to be a member on here, has her own Equestrian Centre in Bourton on the Water, she may well have or know of something for you. She found my Sam for me and is very experienced and knows everyone! Website below but its not upto date so give her a call and tell her Nat told you to call from New Rider.

http://www.bourtonvaleequestrian.co.uk/id10.html

I could always meet you there as well for a bit of support as its only 15 mins from me!

If not too far www.hackinghorses.co.uk are well priced and are in the same ownership as safecobs.co.uk , they have a lovely Comtois on there at the moment..... very good money!

Last edited:
I bought Roxy from Irish Cobs. Have you looked on their website?

I first met them nearly 2 years ago - struck me as a touch dodgy, a bit wheeler dealer/off the back of a lorry. Their horses (about 3 or 4 they had for sale) in a bit of a decrepid field round the corner from their house. Not really any background info on Roxy other than she came over from Ireland. She came with a passport but one that had been issued once she arrived to them, so no actual date of birth, just the year she was born. The guy that runs it apparently goes over to Ireland (where he's from) a lot to buy cobs from market and bring them over.

Looking on their website now they look a lot more established. I have to say though I had no problems with them at all & they were very friendly and welcoming. Didn't dodge phone calls or anything like that so they may have just been in the early years of their business.

Although I seem to remember paying a deposit for her which then wasn't knocked off the rest of the remaining price for her... I didn't realise until after & it was only £100 (I think). They also sold me a saddle and bridle with her, neither of which fit her and wasn't what I tried her in. A bit unfair although they cost me next to nothing anyway but it's not the point. I felt a bit fobbed off with that but at the end of the day I've been exceptionally happy with my purchase so I can't not recommend them.

And like I said - they look to be more established now. I'd be interested on your opinion if you go visit them!

I read some pretty horrid stories about some dealers in Coventry on Horse and Hound forum. Maybe not the same people but I would research before hand.

I have been trying to find out about Farringtons for a friend, but cant seem to find anything.

The only dealer i can personally recommend is Patsy at Stubley Hollow - high prices but you get what you pay for.

Hello,

I bought my boy from featherbed stables in june last year. he is my 2nd horse.

I love him :wub:

he is the grey cob being ridden by tanya under meet the team !

He was sold to me as a confidence giver which he has been, he has no history though, as roxys mum said about another dealer they bring them over from ireland and resell here.

he was sold as a steady hack, i know no horse in bomb proof but he has bolted with me a couple of times when push bikes have come up behind us whilst out hacking, he is alot better now though! anything else he is very good with, barking dogs etc hacks out alone, in company, loads etc.

I think maybe the fact that they had not had him long, (he was on there coming soon page) so had not been through all the tests they usually do! so maybe they had not encountered any pushbikes whilst hacking him.!!?

They were very friendly and helpfull i rode him in the school and then went down the road, i went to view him on my own and was a very nervous nelly:frown:
they also delivered him at a time to suit me.

They have also emailed me several times since i have had him to check everything is ok and that i have no problems

Hope you find your steaddy eddie soon, keep us all posted

as you know i highly recommend Farringtons Coloured Horses - the owner Dani is a lovely lady who is very accommodating, helpful and patient.

Would go to Irishcobs - not heard good things

Also heard unfavourable things about Featherbed but polly101 had a good experience so perhaps it is just circumstantial to each horse they sell.

newrider.com