does anyone know about adjusting brakes on trailer?

jaybee

Jun 20, 2006
Norfolk, England
:)hi, i recently bought a rice trailer off ebay and my hubby and i have completly refurbished it. (new floor, wiring, lights etc.) he has checked all the brakes, wheelbearings etc which are fine but obviously moved the brakes a bit because when we tested trailer towing it, the wheels were locking, th e local garage said they were overadjusted and he amended it, but testing it again one wheel still locks. is there a guide or is it just guess work? (my husband has worked on a lot of cars in the past by the way).
thanks
J

Sometimes, if a trailer has been left sitting for a while, the brakes are inclined to lock on.

If it doesn't free within a few yards of driving, it may help to take a hammer and give the centre of the hub a few dull thuds, which is often enough to slacken the brake on that side.

If that doesn't work, you may have to investigate whether there is enough slack in the cable to the drawbar, and that the brake handle on the trailer is correctly adjusted to the cable to allow the brakes to be free running.

If he's checked all that, I don't know what else to suggest.

Don't leave the trailer parked with the handbrake on...........better to chock the wheels.

Is it just the square adjuster on the back of the drum? if it is you normally just nip them up to just tight then slacken them off by half a turn. After doing that with the wheel jacked up you should be able to turn the wheel by hand, you will normally still get just a little drag (as in you don't want the wheel spinning completely free) but being a little older you may need to adjust a little more or less, things get a bit worn over the years!
If the brakes have bound on due to being sat then the above idea of taking a large hammer to it is generally enough to get it moving again.
And remember when you park it up don't put the handbrake on if it has one, chock the wheels instead as putting the handbrake on encourages the brakes to bind.

thanks for your comments guys, the wheel is actually free as a bird, its just when being towed locks when the brakes are applied. the garage said they are prob overajusted and they have to be looser than a car, i was just wondering if there was a guide or something?
thanks anyhow

newrider.com