Does anyone have riders insurance?

teenieandtiny

May 30, 2008
Wrexham
I have been told by a friend to get riders insurance because it covers any horse you ride. I was just wondering if anyone else has it and who are you with?

:D:D:D:):):)

I have a policy which covers my horse, me as a rider on any horse and my trailer with NFU. Its one big policy but they do the rider one seperate as well. here's a bit off their website about what they cover.....
Horse rider insurance
As an equine insurer, our Horse Rider insurance is specifically designed to offer riders of all ages (5-70 years) who do not own a horse the very best in personal protection; whether you ride occasionally, or on a regular basis.

Just look at what we can offer...
Personal liability cover of £2.5 million, which can be increased to up to £10 million.
We will cover any horse you borrow for vet's fees up to £1000 following an accident.
Personal accident cover with hospital benefit, school fees and temporary total disablement cover.

I have to say NFU have been excellent any time have claimed on my horse insurance, thankfully I've never had to claim on the rider bit, but I'd highly recommend them!

Yes, I do. I got it when I started hacking on RS horses. I did it by joining the British Horse Society because Rider liability insurance comes with BHS gold membership. I wanted to have some cover in case a horse I was riding damaged a car and I was held responsible.
However some people have suggested that such insurance is not meaningful. Because if a risk is covered by several insurance policies, one can't be sure which insurer will actually pay out?
Most horse owners and riding schools have insurance of their own and many adult riders already have personal liability insurance with their Home insurance. Anyway, both OH and I have it via the BHS.

Have just phoned NFU cos I was sick of waiting for someone, anyone to tell me if my £5000 vet bill was going to be paid or not. I've heard nothing but good things about NFU and they are going to pay £4600 or maybe more as they weren't aware that Boomer had been PTS!!!!!! What!!!!! They got a full report from the Royal Vet College!! Don't mean to put anyone off (I mean, they are actually paying the claim and even said if there's any left, I'll get loss of use money:eek:) but it's been hell trying not to think that I might have to find £5000 from osmewhere in a hurry. Every time I phoned previously, no-one could tell me anything. It's no fun waiting almost 2 months for them to decide they're going to pay out. (Thank God I wasn't with you know who!)

Oh what a nightmare for you - hope it all gets sorted out soon. losing a horse is stressful enough without useless insurers making it all ten times worse.

By You-Know-Who, i suspect you mean that insurer whose excuses for not paying bills are Entertaining and whose payments after claims are Leisurely :D:D

Smart a**e-yes, indeed, those ones. They recently had the cheek to write to me saying they were upping my rider insurance (from some time ago before I had a horse and just had lessons) to include various blah blah and would take more money! I think not! My response was extremely brief and FULL OF interesting references to their possible animal heritage. Meanwhile, NFU are paying out but I admit it's been a stressful time. It would be lovely if these companies would liaise thoroughly with clients. I've had to make all the running on this one: today, they said the cheque for the vets would be sent tomorrow: feel they could have told me: don't see why I had to keep chasing.

Last edited:
I have rider only insurance with pet plan it costs me £7.95 a month and to be honest looks pretty comprehensive and covers me and the horse I ride up to a certain amount. Will try and dig out the details but it's pretty good and reasonable.

newrider.com