Does anyone else use.................

lor

Jun 28, 2006
.............a treed and treeless saddle on the same horse/pony? i have bought a freeform for all my long distance stuff, and a saddle company working hunter saddle for faster work in a forward seat. Has anyone got any experience of this and is there anything in particular i need to be aware of ? :)

I bought a treeless coz they are super comfy and po seems to like it. She is also quite happy in a well fitted treed saddle - has no back issues as such.

Any thoughts or experiences ????

Last edited:
I'm doing it now and I know quite a few people who do the same.

My treed is for schooling (not that I do huge amounts) and fast work. My treeless is for longer hacks.

I ended up with two saddles because I wanted a back-up saddle for when my treed was off being adjusted and also as a means of double-checking how my horse was feeling in the treed. I have a Fitform, which is the only saddle I've had in 7yrs that hasn't caused a single minutes worry for my horse or myself, and a Saddle Co WH.

I didn't intend to use the Fitform as much as I have been doing but it's working so far. Last weekend my bowen therapist couldn't find any work that my mare needed doing, a first this year! I on the other hand needed a marathon session to sort out all the kinks.

Thats interesting and helpful. Do you find your horse accepts the change happily ? Do you make a point of varying which saddle you use or just use what you need to? I'm glad she didnt need any work on her back thats good :)

Fatty has a treed VSD and two treeless - Freeform and SBS. I used the treed saddle most of the time but she jumps better in the SBS and I occasionally use the Freeform for hacking because its comfortable. Also use the treeless saddles to make sure madam can't get out of work by changing shape. Switching between them doesn't cause any problems apart from me having to get used to sitting differently if I'm going from the treed saddle to the Freeform after not using it for a while.

I used to have both. I used the tree'd for lessons and the treeless for hacking. One day my mare started bucking in a lesson, my instructor thought it was the tree'd saddle. We swopped them over and I have never used the tree'd again.

Yes i appreciate i would need to listen to her in both saddles.
Thanks folks :) :)
anyone else?

newrider.com