Does anyone else read the Telegraph?

lovethosehorses

Nov 18, 2008
South Manchester
A really annoying journalist was telling her story yesterday in the travel section, how she fell off a horse on a hack in France, didnt have travel insurance, it cost her a lot of money to sort our herself and having to pay for a nanny for the little darlings, so she is now hell bent on suing the riding place - JUST BECAUSE SHE DIDNT HAVE TRAVEL INSURANCE. And thinks this is fine and worth writing an article about. Does anyone get mad at this? I wonder if she will feel any guilt when no one wants to run a riding / trecking centre in future!?:banghead: I have tried to post a comment on the Telegraph site but I can't work out how to login!

I dont read the Telegraph.

However, previous accounts on NR of riding holidays in France suggested to me that one had to be careful. That safety standards might differ in France?

I have a friend who invited me to join her on a French riding holiday booked via a very reputable equestrian riding holiday site. I wasnt willing to risk it. She has been twice now. She is an advanced rider and had a wonderful time, including galloping but has reported other clients falling.

Apart from her, everyone I know who has ridden in France has ended up having an accident. I know one person who was hurt riding in the USA but in spite of their not wearing hats - I think safety standards are higher there. OH and I have ridden in USA and never had any safety concerns.

At the high levels France is miles ahead of us in training (daughter spent time at their 'Ecole Nationale'). However at the level of holiday trekking it can be scary. I had an exchange student once who had worked as a trek leader and I would not leave her unattended with a horse...having said that I think that is true of many countries!

Yes, agreed, but I think the point that lovethosehorses is trying to make is that this woman chose to save a few pounds by not having insurance, then expects the centre (or whoever) to foot the bill when she was injured.

I agree that standards differ in different countries, but at the end of the day, riding is a risky sport, horses are large animals and you can get hurt riding and being around them, be it on the ground, in the stable, in the field.

I get really sick of this blame culture we live in, where anyone can make a fast buck because nobody wants to take responsiblity for their actions any more.

To be honest, I am always amused by these sort of cases.

People go on holiday, do something risky, have an accident then expect someone else to foot the bill!

You're often not covered on holiday insurance for risky activities. I went paragliding in Turkey and had separate insurance for it.

I can't find the article. Can you post a link?

Whether this will work who knows
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/c...-insurance-why-we-all-need-holiday-cover.html

But yes, my point wasnt about the quality of the riding centres but that this journalist is out of pocket, which is all that matters to her, so she thinks its fine to sue the centre. She actually wrote a similar article earlier in the year and got loads of negative comments from sensible horsey people posted, but I cant see any comments this time but I tried and it just wouldnt work.

Just going on-line to book our holiday insurance ..........

Not that we will be riding - or that we ever travel without it - just eminded me I hadn't sorted it yet!

Last edited:
Shouldn't she be suing her husband?
He was the one who hadn't purchased travel insurance.

^ Totally agree with the above.

It's up to each of us to make sure that we and our loved ones are covered - in a way I can see why she is wanting to sue the trekking centre but i dont think its them who are at fault, she decided to get on the horse, no-one forced her to go riding. It seems to me that she just wants someone to blame and someone to recover her expenses.

For goodness sake, horses are ANIMALS and therefore are unpredictable. Anytime you put your foot in a stirrup and mount a horse, there is a chance that you will fall off. If a person can't accept that, they should stick to riding a bike, which isn't a living thing and hasn't got a mind of it's own.

Unless the guy who owned the stables deliberately made the horses bolt/or knew that they would bolt (???) then I don't think there's a case to answer ...

newrider.com