Does anyone else make their own hoof oil?

tikkitti

Mar 8, 2015
Hi, Our farrier told my mother many years ago to make her own hoof oil using Stockholm tar and vegetable oil and so we have done ever since, we do buy other hoof treatments but for plain old hoof oil we just make it. Its so much cheaper:) Does anyone else do this?

Nope, don't use any hoof treatments/oils at all, just plain old aqueous cream if ever it's needed. On the outside that is.

Reactions: tikkitti
Kite_Rider that really interesting, will give it a try. Generally I use effol and hoof oil if they need a bit more glam. When I was little it was pick feet then hoof oil, I don't actually remember using anything other than hoof oil, maybe cause my mum was impressed by her hoof oil making skills:) I also remember every Saturday having to clean my tack with saddle soap or presleas leather dressing and change numnahs. Dont think you can buy preasleas leather dressing anymore, which is quite sad as I loved it.x

Many years ago when I was a kid. The pony farm where I kept my first pony>>> Mr Pitman a real old time guy that owned the farm--- he used motor oil that was used out of the truck.
I have no idea if that was good or bad but I really don;t ever remember any of his ponies having
any hoof issues.
He was ancient then so I am sure it was a really really old time remedy.

I don't try to make anything- if needed I use one I buy.

My farrier hates hoof oil. But he did suggest Stockholm tar to me for the sole. I was then a bit surprised to discover it was runny and the good old fashioned stuff as I recall.
You wouldn't want hoof oil on a hoof with feathers.

My farrier hates hoof oil. But he did suggest Stockholm tar to me for the sole. I was then a bit surprised to discover it was runny and the good old fashioned stuff as I recall.
You wouldn't want hoof oil on a hoof with feathers.
Yes it used to be a thicker consistency when I was younger too, my mum used to warm it on a little 2 ring stove in the bait room in the outbuildings before adding oil, it stank badly!! She used to make it on a weekend and leave the door open for the day. Now it seems runny there's no need to heat it thankfully. I'm sure there's lots of old fashion tips that would save a fortune. x

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
I use nothing, I have a drawer full of different hoof oils and treatments that I thought I needed when we first became barefoot, but I think i just got a bit carried away as his feet looked so bad when the shoes first came off. So they are sitting gathering dust as his feet are fine without all that messy stuff lol

I won two big tubs of hoof oil and have rarely used. Its not really something mine need. Every now and again.......can't have stockholm tar anywhere near madam. She gets a terrible reaction to it.

I use nothing, I have a drawer full of different hoof oils and treatments that I thought I needed when we first became barefoot, but I think i just got a bit carried away as his feet looked so bad when the shoes first came off. So they are sitting gathering dust as his feet are fine without all that messy stuff lol
Ebay ;)

Well done Joeillie - anything like that is always needed by them, I am taking a lot of stuff like that over myself later in the week, that I no longer use and has enough left in to be useful to them.:)

Nothing oily on their feet, Show day I will grant you, I have a tin of hoof oil that has to be 20 years old, still going strong, only comes out once on show dAY

If your using stockholm tar does it not make the hoof dark, being a black consistence. Or do you only use on the sole. My lad has light coloured hooves and also long white feathers. So do they discolour the hoof or feathers get claggy with the tar.

I use effol which is clear mostly but still use hoof oil if they need to look smart on both sole and hoof. Mine have black/blue hooves but tbh when I was a child my 12.2hh definitely had white hooves and it didn't cause him a problem and used it all the time on him. Its not as gloopy cause veg oil is added, I suppose you could make it to whatever consistency you required. Don't think my mum was given a recipe as such just told to mix them both to make hoof oil. As for white feathers I honestly couldn't say, its only the last few years or so I have gradually changed to stockier types, a fell, dales and cob and none have white feathers. x

newrider.com