Does anyone else like him?

Melrose

Jan 23, 2012
: )

So i'm looking at horses to buy again... SHOCK!!! Just can't help myself.. but I came across this boy, and I really like him for some reason? He's not my usual 'type' as I wouldn't choose a colored normally, but isn't that what always happens - have a 'type' you look for and end up with something completely different?! :giggle:

Anyway, I know he isn't the youngest but age doesn't matter to me, my first was 25 and the best, liveliest little thing I knew :happy:

The bolshiness on the ground wouldn't bother me either, dealt with horses like that before and would again. :smile: Seems reasonably priced to me too. I like him. :smile:

http://www.horsemart.co.uk/all_rounder_horse_17_yrs_4_mths_16_3_hh_skewbald_s/advert/244979#review

Last edited:
I think he looks lovely...I would just be a bit wary of a 16.3 horse that was 'bolshy'...cobs that are bolshy are handleable by most, however at 16.3 you may need a strong as well as firm hand!!

True, I suppose being very tall helps too, he won't feel as big to me as he may do to someone a bit shorter. Not being heightest! :giggle: But would have to get my 'guns' out in my arms!

I like the look of him too...but I do think he is rather pricey for something that is rising 18. I know they say it includes tack and rugs, but IME, very often, when you actually see the tack and rugs that are included they aren't worth tuppence. But in this case it could be perfectly good tack that fits the horse well? Not sure how insurable for vets fees etc. something of his age would be, may be someone on here might know that?

If he isnt too far away from you I would certainly say he is worth the look?:smile:

He's nice, and I don't really like coloureds. Sounds like a good sort, all-rounder type with a pleasant nature. I am however a bit wary of older horses who are "bolshy" as TBH I think by the time a horse gets into their teens they should have learned / been taught good manners, and those who have been allowed to get away with shoving people around for years can be a big project to retrain, and this one potentially a bit dangerous due to his size and build (ain't no midget is he!). There's also a little inconsistency as she says he does most things in a snaffle but both the ridden pics show him in a pelham and roundings. I would probably ask to see a pic of him doing flatwork/dressage in the promised snaffle. I think I'd go for a viewing though, he's intriguing enough that I'd want to see for myself what he's like.

I like him, I used to ride a 20 year 17hh gentleman who was wonderful - kind on the ground, had to know his ways when out ridden.

His bolshiness on the ground, well depends what it is. Difficult to insure at that age so you would be spending quite a bit on a horse you can't probably get insurance on, but Petplan and others do senior policies up to mid 20s.

Over to you!

Well spotted Joosie, hmmmm...I would have thought they would ensure a picture of him ridden in a snaffle if he truly can be ridden in one? That wouldn't put me off too much in a traditional cob.....I have ridden several in pelhams and dont find it a problem, they simply often prefer it and go better in one. But he isnt exactly a traditional cob type is he? So I would want that clarified - but if he goes nicely in it and has brakes then no problem in my book.

what a beautiful horse and well worth the asking price what with rugs and tack included, he sounds like a good horse but then no one is gonna make their horse sound bad when they want to sell but this person does for some reason sound genuine.
The bolshy bit sounds meagre as any horse will try it on, its just them establishing their place with you like they would in a herd of horses.

The only thing that would deter me is the height but only because I'm only a little 5'2" pod and a horse that big is too big.

Would you have a pelham and martingale together? Doesn't one lower the head and one stop the head going up? Where is left for it to be.

Height would stop me because of the cost to feed it, being older it may not be the best doer in the world.

He's nice, and I don't really like coloureds. Sounds like a good sort, all-rounder type with a pleasant nature. I am however a bit wary of older horses who are "bolshy" as TBH I think by the time a horse gets into their teens they should have learned / been taught good manners, and those who have been allowed to get away with shoving people around for years can be a big project to retrain, and this one potentially a bit dangerous due to his size and build (ain't no midget is he!). There's also a little inconsistency as she says he does most things in a snaffle but both the ridden pics show him in a pelham and roundings. I would probably ask to see a pic of him doing flatwork/dressage in the promised snaffle. I think I'd go for a viewing though, he's intriguing enough that I'd want to see for myself what he's like.

I agree! Did wonder where the pictures of him in the snaffle were tbh - and also that he can be very bolshy on the ground, if he can be like this now and again with new people etc. not sure I would trust him to be lead from a field by a 4 year old?

Would you have a pelham and martingale together? Doesn't one lower the head and one stop the head going up? Where is left for it to be.

Well I didn't notice that either?? I am really getting too slow to even think about looking at other horses! I don't hold too much of a problem when I see running martingales, many, many people use them now regardless of the bit they might be using. They seem to just look on them as standard tack much as using a flash is considered quite normal.

Where is it left for it to be?...hmm sort of half way up and half way down (perfect position in a perfect world?)....sorry but I couldn't resist!:giggle::redcarded:

Well no - a running martingale isn't used to prevent the head from going up at all, it only comes into play when they shove /chuck it properly right up in the air (provided it's correctly fitted of course ;)) - they can easily go above the vertical in one if that's what you mean.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing that it's not in a snaffle - but I always think that if you say something like that in the advert it should be backed up in the photos. Of course it could just be an oversight by the seller but it's something I personally would mention when I phoned up.

If you look at the pictures he is in a pelham, flash and martingale, could just be 'showjumperitis' ie empty the tackroom onto the horse or he is seriously strong. The 'cute ' picture of him attached to a small child is either with rope round nose or controller halter.

If big strong horses don't put you off this is a nice one and at 17 is in apparently great condition so the price doesn't put me off. Not for me but I am an older slow moving model that no longer does big and strong, either on its own ok but not together:biggrin:

newrider.com